Re: R.I.P. General Motors (1931-2006)

Page 5 of 7
If you think the Japanese are the only ones offering vehicles that get good mileage, you have not looked at the EPA Fuel Economy Guide CAFE figures. If
you think gas mileage alone is the determining factor as to what buyers buy your thinking is faulty. The Camry outsells the Corolla, which get the better gas mileage? Eight out of ten Camrys sold have only a 4cy engine. The Camry outsells the Ford Fusion, which 4 cy get the better fuel mileage? The Pruis gets better mileage than the Corolla, which sells better? Do you think a person that spends 50K or 70K to buy any vehicle cares about the price of gasoline? The only people that have a problem affording gas, at a price over $3, are they people that can only afford econoboxes. ;)
mike hunt

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 18:26:14 -0400, "Mike Hunter"

You're the one who is insane. GM and Ford have laid off workers so they can have them assembled in other countries. They take advantage of the lower cost so they can compensate themselves with bigger bonuses and stock options while laying off blue collar workers.
GM and Ford do sell more than Toyotas. So what? That does not make them better vehicles. McDonalds sells more food than any 5-star restaurants. Does that mean that their food is better? Only lunatics believe so.
Study after study show that Toyotas have better reliability than GM and Ford. Only those with single-digit IQ's deny that.
Apparently more buyers think the vehicles sold by GM, Ford and Chrysler, in the same price range think so, that is why they buy more of them.
Are the folks that are willing to pay $10 for a burger in one of those 5-Star restaurants, as smart a buyer as the guy that buys one from McDonalds for $1? When it comes to vehicles more buyers realize they need not spend so much more for an import that is in the real world no better? LOL
mike hunt

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 12:52:39 -0400, "Mike Hunter"

You don't go to many 5-star restaurants, do you Mikey?
Is the guy eating at the 5-star restaurant smarter than the guy eating at McDonalds? Well, on the average he is probably earning five to ten times as much so I would be inclined to say yes.
I live in 5-star restaurants, but I don't order burgers. That was not the question I asked. In answer to your question, he may be smarter but he is hardly a smarter BUYER if he goes to a 5-star restaurant just to buy a burger. ;)
mike hunt

Also--the guy might be attempting to impress a customer (eg real estate salesman) by taking the customer to a 5-star restaurant.
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 12:52:39 -0400, "Mike Hunter"

You're comparison is flawed. Toyotas don't cost 10 times as much. If GM's and Ford's cost $1 for their feces invested burgers, then Toyota are $1.05 for their pure USDA choice ground beef. So Toyota buyers are smarter! That explains why you don't own them.

One other factor that will have an effect on car sales in 2006 and 2007 are the really small cars (example: Honda Fit) that will be sold by Honda, Toyota and Mazda. Those car companies have been selling these really small cars in Europe and Japan for several years but they are now bringing them to America. Those cars will cost about $15,000 which means that almost anyone that can afford a new car will be able to afford a Honda, Toyota or Mazda. Jason
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 08:26:10 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Jason) wrote:

With rising fuel cost, it's certainly should be good news for all of us.
It is not the fule price that is going up It is the price of the dollar going down You will notice the price of hamburgers and houses as well as anything else costing more dollars It is called inflation and is caused by the government printing too many paper slips to pay for wars You might need to get wheelbarrows to pay for your hamburgers soon The fall of GM is just one of many signs
You have a rather convoluted understanding of inflation, it appears. During the Carter years the inflation rate was as high as 16% and GM did not go our of business. During WWII inflation was well over 100% and GM did not go our of business, although the same car they sold in 1947, that they sold in 1941 went up from $700 to $1,800. ;)
The Toyopet I bought in around 1957 cost me $600, today the shipping cost is more than that and Toyota is still here and growing.
mike hunt

I could not agree with you more
Mike Hunter wrote:

I always try to be factual. ;)
mike hunt

Gosi wrote:

What school of economics did you graduate from?
Newsflash! Oil prices are rising worldwide and that affects everyone on the planet.
You might consider the competition for petroleum and related products as the main driving force for rising prices.
Sheeeesh!
JT

Obviously Gosi went to a good one.

Yes everyone is affected, but the USA more than many other countries. Oil is priced in USA $s. Time to look outside the USA.
Since the USA $ has been going down compared to most other western countries, gasoline in the USA has increased a higher % than in many other countries.
Many other products the USA imports from Asia are from countries that tie their money to the USA $. So the USA sees no price change due to the dropping USA $ from these countries, but many other countries have seen a drop in product prices from these countries, due to the dropping USA $.

There is no shortage of oil, there is the fear of a shortage and the main problem in NA is a shortage of refineries.
Oil will soon be priced in Euros The dollar is losing China has USA by the balls
Actually, the Chinese banking system has the integrity of a house of cards in that China is fostering a weak currency to keep its products price low. Sooner or later, something is going to give...
JT
Gosi wrote:

Or an excess of demand.
As for there being a real shortage of refinery capacity in NA, I have heard it both ways. If NA refineries are all running flat out, wouldn't that tend to depress the price of oil compared to what it would be if we had more capacity?
How much refined petroleum do we import into NA?
--
satyr #1953
Chairman, EAC Church Taxation Subcommittee

There IS a shortage of oil and it will get even worst in the next 10 years. Every day, thousands of new cars are sold in China and India. Those people that are buying those new cars in China and India have never before owned a car. That means that China and India will be buying thousands of barrels of oil every day. In other words, the oil now in ground will be used at an even faster rate than any of the experts predicted that it would be used.
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
In article
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Jason) wrote:

Oil reserves are based on profitable recovery based on current oil prices. With the higher oil prices more oil is recoverable from current fields and new oil fields will be explored. An example of this is the huge reserves in Alberta's oil sands, where production is currently limited by available labor. At current oil prices recovery is very profitable. If the higher oil prices stick many newer fields will be explored in northern Canada.
It is true that the rapidly developing Asian countries will consume an increasing amount of oil, but unfortunately the west is consuming an increasing amount, particularly in NA because of our excessively large vehicles. In Europe much higher gasoline prices limit vehicle size. Obviously gasoline isn't expensive enough yet in NA.