Re: R.I.P. General Motors (1931-2006)

Page 6 of 7

There is a limited amount of oil in the ground. Each year, millions of gallons of that oil are pumped out of the ground. Some of the oil experts are of the opinion that the amount of oil in the world has now "peaked". On a bell curve, the peak is the very top center of the bell curve. In other words, we are now on the wrong side of the bell curve. Only God knows when the last barrel of oil will be pumped out of the ground. We can only hope that alternative fuels are developed within the next 20 years. It's my opinion that we have enough oil to last at least 20 to 40 years--I am only guessing. Jason
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
In article
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Jason) wrote:

Yes you are guessing and so would anyone because the amount of oil we get out of the wells is related to the selling price of oil. It has to sell for a profit or it won't be pumped out. The more difficult it is to pump out the higher the delivered price must be.
The alternatives you mention will happen. Looking at the history of fuels the alternative has become more common well before the current fuel has run out. Lots of coal for fuel left in the ground!
So let the price of gasoline rise and we will have fuel for some time. Tough on the big three automakers who did so well selling those monster SUVs. <:)

I hope that it does not end up like the "Mad Max" movie. Which of the alternative fuels will solve our problems? I know that it will not be hydrogen fuel cells. I read an article about that subject and found out that it is NOT cost effective since it cost so much money to make hydrogen fuel cells. I do believe that we need more Nuclear Power Plants but the environmentalists will not allow it. Jason
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
Jason wrote:

They will probably change their minds when the eventual lack of energy impacts their ability to live their lives as they want to. That's a big variable as some people can live with less energy than others, but it will eventually impact everyone if alternative fuels are not developed. As for when that will happen, I don't know.
BTW, I agree that fuel prices in NA are still actually very low vs world standards. I'm not saying I like them where they are. I'm just facing the reality that we've been getting off easy for a long time. That's part of the reason that people continue to buy those big SUV's in NA when the rest of the world doesn't due to the MUCH higher fuel proces.
Ah yes but tour comparison is the one that is flawed. GM, Ford, Chrysler and Toyota ALL compete in the same price range in the US and GM, Ford and Chrysler ALL sell more than Toyota. You may think Toyotas are choice ground beef but more buyers obviously think the vehicles sold by GM, Ford and Chrysler, in the same price range are choice ground beef, that is why they buy more of them.
mike hunt

A better statement would be: On average, Imports have better reliability than GM and Ford. Some GMs and Fords do better than the imports on particular applications. I don't see many import police cars. Most are Ford Crown Vics and Chevys. Corporate fleet managers learn which cars work well for their fleets and buy those. And some imports have big reliability problems. Most don't.
Jeff

Beats me, you would have to ask Toyota if the would like to sell 160,000 more vehicles to 'catch up' to Chrysler. ;)
mike hunt

No need to do that, simply use the figures reported by the Commerce Department of the total sales in 2005. ;)
No mater how some like to spin it, no Japanese company outsold any domestic company.
mike hunt

Mike, I doubt if you have ever taken a course in college statistics. Even if you are 100% right, it means nothing in relation to what is referred to as the bottom line e.g. (profit vs loss). GM (according to the news media) may go bankrupt in the near future. Honda and Toyata are not having any problems related to the bottom line. Their profits are in the black. GM's profits are in the red. Also--what's the total number of models made by GM? What's the total number of models made by Honda?
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
Top-posting moron Mike Hunter wrote:

No matter how you spin it, you're a bald-faced liar, "Mike".

Gee, and I previously posted:

a difference of about 44,500 vehicles. Isn't it funny how we are so close on our figures and Mike Hunt is so far off.
Mike wrote:

Uh Mike. . .Toyota and Honda are clearly a distant fourth and fifth to GM. You printed the numbers yourself. GM had 26.8% , while Toyota and Honda had 13.7% and 8.9% respectively. I'd certainly call that a distant fourth and fifth! Neither English nor Math must be your forte' or you'd know that Toyota and Honda should be compared to the leader, not the 3rd place manufacturer.

I think you had some problems with your math.
GM = 26.8 %
Ford = 17.9 %
Chrysler= 14 %
Toyota = 13.7 %
Honda = 8.9 %
You stated above " Toyota and Honda a distant fourth and fifth. " Honda may be a distant fifth but Toyota is almost even with Chrysler, unless you consider 3 tenths of one percent * distant*.

Mike wrote:

Gee Mike, you really are thick, aren't you? I thought you were merely feigning naievety. Here in North America, everyone strives to be 1st in everything we do. Whether it be hockey, baseball, soccer, basketball, auto racing and yes, even auto sales. If we happen not to place first, we then compare our position to the 1st place team. Not the 3rd! But hey, maybe you use different parameters when you consistently place 4th or 5th. Maybe then you find solace in comparing yourself to 3rd place!
To put it another way that you might understand Mike, "GM is first and everyone else is a distant 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc....... ". *guffaw* *chuckle* *snort*

I see english isn't you're native language, sorry about that.

I can see why you are confused. You are confusing brands and corporations. Toyota is ONE brand but Toyota Motor (Sales) Company includes Toyota, Scion and Lexus in the US. Ford is ONE brand but Ford Motor Company includes Ford, Lincoln and Mercury. GMC is one brand (of truck.) GM includes Chevrolet, Pontiac, Buick, Cadillac, Saturn, GMC and Hummer. GM and FMC also sell some of their import brands in the US but are not included in sales totals. If their import brands were included GM and Fords total sales would be even higher. In the US GM and Ford Motor Company sell more trucks alone than Toyota Motor (Sales) Company sells cars, trucks and SUVs combined.
mike hunt

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 09:31:36 -0400, "Mike Hunter"

You said, "Actually GM sells more cars than Toyota and Honda sell Camrys and Accords. It just that they have different brand names on the hood." That is an ambiguous statement but, for the record, Honda and Toyota combined do sell more cars than GM.
2005 sales stats from:
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060104/auto_sales_table.html?.v=2
General Motors Car: 1,713,578 vs. 1,847,040, down 7 percent Truck: 2,702,464 vs. 2,770,260, down 2 percent Vehicle: 4,416,042 vs. 4,617,300, down 4 percent
Ford Car: 934,832 vs. 888,633, up 6 percent Truck: 2,018,365 vs. 2,210,086, down 8 percent Vehicle: 2,953,197 vs. 3,098,719, down 4 percent
DaimlerChrysler Car: 526,823 vs. 474,119, up 11 percent Truck: 1,778,010 vs. 1,731,905, up 3 percent Vehicle: 2,304,833 vs. 2,206,024, up 5 percent
Toyota Car: 1,289,356 vs. 1,101,221, up 17 percent Truck: 970,940 vs. 958,828, up 2 percent Vehicle: 2,260,296 vs. 2,060,049, up 10 percent
Honda Car: 837,822 vs. 843,289, down 0 percent Truck: 624,650 vs. 551,109, up 14 percent Vehicle: 1,462,472 vs. 1,394,398, up 5 percent
Nissan Car: 572,465 vs. 536,757, up 7 percent Truck: 504,205 vs. 449,232, up 13 percent Vehicle: 1,076,670 vs. 985,989, up 10 percent