Recall gone bad...

Howdy all,

I have a 96 Olds Aurora. It has a sticker on it that GM Recall 04014, fuel rail replacement had been done.

I am not sure if they did the replacement now because my fuel line sprung a leak. It is a small pin hole that shoots out pretty good when the engine is running.

My questions are...

1) Do I need to take it back to the dealer? Do they have an obligation to fix it since they supposedly fixed it?

20 if not the above, then what is the part number and is it a hard fix to do?

Thanks,

Jim

Reply to
cowboy67111

Why would you drive anywhere with fuel spraying on a hot engine surface? Sounds like a seal or something worked loose in or from the repair. It should be corrected by them but you shouldnt "drive" anywhere with it.

Reply to
HeatWave

Why should the dealer fix it? The OP does not say when the recall was performed - it could have been quite a while ago. There is a limit to how long to hold a mechanic liable for repairs. I get the impression that the OP is not the owner that had the recall done, since he does not elaborate on when the recall was performed, and only makes mention of a sticker indicating it was done.

It may be worth taking it back to the dealer. Perhaps they will honor the previous work. I'm just not so sure it's good to jump to the conclusion that it should be corrected by them, given the information provided.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Don't know. When was the recall performed? You may be past any warranty period on the recall work. It won't hurt to simply call the dealer. That's usually a much better approach than hoping to get an accurate answer to this kind of question from a newsgroup.

Though you can sometimes see part numbers supplied here by different posters, it's not that common. Too many variables. You are better off calling the dealer or an aftermarket parts store for part numbers and prices. Be prepared with your VIN (last 8 digits), your engine size, etc.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

They have no obligation past a normal warranty on a part. How long ago was it replaced? The leak may be from some entirely different reason. Just fix it and get on with life. You can use a local shop if you desire.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yup you're right. Was thinking this was recent work but now I remember there was a recall on Fuel Pressure Regulators a few years ago. This wouldn't likely have anything to do with them "now" but he still should not drive anywhere with the leak. If he does it will likely catch fire...then he'll become a ng troll and he'll bitch about GM for the rest of his miserable years. :-|

Reply to
HeatWave

No kidding. If he didn't become a troll there would still be a hundred waiting in the wings to take up the banner for him.

I wasn't sure myself when the recall was issued for this. I took it for granted that it must have been done a while ago because the OP was so vague about the work being done.

Reply to
Mike Marlow