S10 2.2 lifter noise?

Threaded View

I had previously posted last year on the problems i had with my
96 2.2 Chevy S10. To recap, the tensioner on the cam chain broke
and allowed the chain to jump time. I took the head off and found
8 bent valves. I had the head into a machine shop, had it cleaned,
decked, and 8 new valves and seals  put in it. I had someone else
put the head back on at the time. The truck started and ran OK
after all this.

Now, here's my issue. At About 3000 RPM+ or so i hear what appears to be
lifter noise from the engine. I cannot really detect
it at lower RPM's. And i can raise the throttle in park to this point
and hear the noise also.

So, my question now is what this noise could be? I did not remember
hearing it before all this happened. My thoughts are maybe:
A lifter mount not properly screwed down? Bent push rods maybe?
I know this engine had piston slap issues and i heard them before
this happened. But it really does not seem to be the same noise.
Any thoughts? What would be the result of a bent push rod?

Bob

-

Re: S10 2.2 lifter noise?

Next time the tank is low, fill it with premium. It might be spark knock.

Al

Re: S10 2.2 lifter noise?

    Get a mech to listen & check for rod-bearing noise.  s

Re: S10 2.2 lifter noise?

Its coming from the top end. I know what pre detonation noise is
and its not that. And its peaky like a resonance only above a certain
RPM. It almost sounds like something loose sympathetically vibrating,
but i a fairly sure its somehow valve train related. Ir does not have
that lower sound of lower end rod/bearing noise.

Back to the original questions:
If the push rods were slightly bent, what kinds of symptoms or noise
If the rocker arm nuts were slightly loose?

Bob

-

Re: S10 2.2 lifter noise?

    I think if any of these conditions exist, there would be valve lifter
noise, and it seems as if it would be loudest when oil pressure was
lowest--at idle?  Don't believe it'd be loudest at 3k rpm, as oil pressure
should be relatively high there.  s

Site Timeline