TIRES

In time, I'll be shopping for tires for my Buick Century. I've gotta admit, it's a confusing issue.

Michelin used to be a great name, but is it worth the premium price ?

Is there really a big difference between the 50K tire and the 65K mile tire ?

I've heard they stamp a "wear factor" code on the tire now. Should I be looking at this ?

I used to get my tires at SEARS. Still a good idea ? How about WalMart ?

Obviously, I want the most tire for the money.

The car isn't used in any extreme driving conditions.

Any brand names to avoid ?

Anyone have a favorite to recommend ?

Reply to
Anonymous

Goodyear Regatta II's are a good all season tire. 80,000 mile treadlife. Cost was about $100 a tire ( for my size- yours could size could be less ).

I'm due to buy another set in May, then I'll be all set till 357,000 rolls around.

========= Harryface =========

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 3800 V6 ( C ), Black/Slate Grey _~_~_~_~277, 300 miles_~_~_ ~_~_
Reply to
Harry Face

I VERY recently put the GoodYear Regatta 2's on my 1997 Dodge Grand Caravan and very happy with the nice smooth quiet ride they give. Haven't had them in the snow yet, but are rated well in the winter traction category. I have noticed excellent wet traction with them so far. HarryFace is right...about $100.00 apiece (non-discount...probably cheaper in some places). I have had good luck with Michelins as well, but haven't bought any in several years.

Reply to
James C. Reeves

I just purchaesed tire for my 99 Park Avenue. I went too

I had the Bridgestone Potenza on the car. They were excellent tires. So i looked for the same but wasnt in my budget.

SO i ordered Yokohomas Tires look like Mechilns, the ride is perfect, low noise, great wet traction. only spent $263 dollars, they shiped them I went to a shop that would put them on for me for $44.00. but i had to bring the old tires back. But it was the best exsperience ever witht the buyijg process.

Reply to
Jay Smit

Reply to
Mike Levy

I would stay very far away from "General" tires unless you wanna know what slippery when wet actually means.

BFG is always a good choice. (BF Goodrich)

Reply to
Tero Huikko

I also bought Yokohamas, the Avid Tourings in size 195/60-15. They are at least as good as the Michelin MXV4's that they replaced. Tire Rack is a good place to research and buy. I bought a set of the Avid Tourings from them previously for a van that I sold soon afterward, but this time I got them from America's Tire locally for very little more money. It's worth considering if you buy on the web and have them installed locally, will you be getting free flat repairs, rotations, rebalance, etc. If you are planning on keeping the vehicle for a while, it's worth it to buy from a local dealer if the price difference isn't too much. It was only about $20 more in my case. YMMV.

I also have Yokohama Avid S/T's on my Yukon and they have been good. I live in California and don't drive in snow.

WW

Reply to
WaterWatcher

You might want to take a look at

for info and reviews. I've found their reviews to be consistent with other sources. YMMV

Reply to
D F Bonnett