Toyota, GM, and Ford differences

Page 4 of 12
What makes you believe that? GM sells far more cars than Toyota, somebody must like the cars they sell. Same with trucks and SUVs. GM sells more of
those in two months than Toyota sells in a year. Toyota make good vehicles but apparently a lot of buyer prefer something other than a Toyota since the only sell around 10% of all the vehicles sold in the US ;)
mike hunt
.

Top posting troll Mike Hunter wrote:

Wrong, idiot, and since yo know it's wrong, that makes you a liar as well.

Some Americans, too stubborn and/or stupid to even consider the foreign competition, yes. Also those for whom mediocrity suits them fine.
Please enlighten us. Post the total cars sales for GM and total car sales for Toyota for 2005 so we can see which statement is correct. LOL
mike hunt

Top-posting troll Mike Hunter wrote:

Toyota and GM are pretty much neck-and-neck in total vehecle sales, as many news accounts state. I was fustrated by an inability to find a news source that does not play fast and loose with the terms "cars" (excluding trucks) and "vehicles" (including trucks), but obviously GM's sales are a higher percentage of trucks, making Toyota the maker of the most cars.

sales
In other words, you couldn't find anyone that agrees with you.
Dave
Think about what you are writing. There is nothing wrong with setting a goal of fewer quality lapse incidents. It is a good thing. When someone pulls the cord, it means that the system has failed and needs to be fixed.
The trick is that you don't want to punish anyone for pulling the cord. Way you do that is you track customer com plaints back to a plant and shift and if the complaint was related to something that could have been spotted make sure it does not happen again. A balancing act.
Now, I owned a 2000 Yukon XL for 5 years. It was mostly a good truck, but it did have several failures it should not have in 30,000 miles; two outside mirror failures, electric fuel pump failure, rear winder defogger tab fell off, seat heater control button failure, abs sensor failure. None of these would have been caught in an assembly plant. All but one were component failures caused by (probably) supplier parts that were poorly designed/made. I think GM is just squeezing their suppliers too hard and they are cutting corners. At least in my case.

Come to think of it, there was one more failure (DOA rear power window). Wow, that's quite a few failures in 5 years.

People want quality, but not at any price. Every company seems to be quick to brag about their quality control, ISO certifications, and so forth, but not every one makes it work.
Quality programs often lead to better REPRODUCIBILITY, but you can continue to manufacture the same level of product. Most programs have a statement calling for continuous improvement of quality too, but it sometimes gets lost in the haze.
People may not be willing to pay for quality, but neither are they happy to accept shoddy goods.
GM and Ford would probably both be better off by declaring bankruptcy, and starting with fresh faces and ideas.
What makes you think that? GM and Ford still sell for more than any other manufacture and more than all of the import brands combined. ;)
mike hunt

Top posting troll Mike Hunter wrote:
(top posting corrected)

Because it's probably true. If for nothing else, they'll probably declare bankruptcy to get out of their union deals, just like the airlines have had to do.

Idiot liar. No, they do not.
Also, what's the trend of Ford and GM's market share, "Mike"?
The tend has been down.but GM and Ford still sell more vehicles than all of Japanese brands combined. The three domestics sell more the 57% of all the vehicle sold in the US, whether you believe that or not makes no difference in that fact.
mike hunt

Top-posting troll Mike Hunter wrote:
(top posting corrected)

Idiot. You're changing your story to "in the US" and also to include "the three domestics".
Smoking that loco weed again eh? LOL
mike hunt

OK. Most of us don't have a lot of time for our cars to be in the shop any more. That's why I own a Toyota. Sure I could own a GM, but by the time I had 50,000 miles on my old S-10 it was already nickel-and-diming me on repairs, and seemed to be in the shop as much as it was out.
Charles of Kankakee
You had problem with your GM vehicle therefore all GM vehicles are bad, right? LOL
mike hunt

Charles wrote:

A freind of mine had a GMC Jimmy, and it was a total POS. It was rusting within a couple years. GM's the worst, from what I've seen.

And how many Toyotas that were built in the 1980's and early 90's do you see still on the road compared to domestic brands?
Personally I think that all manufacturers design and build cars to last no longer than 10 years now before they fall apart. I had a 79' Datsun B-210 that the steering box rotted away from the chassis somewhere around 1988 or so. I was going down the road at the time of failure. I've been skeptical about the build and design of Asian built cars ever since.
I do own at present a 97' Hyundai Tiburon with approximately 195,000 miles on it that hasn't given very much trouble, but when there is a problem I have found that it takes a long time to get parts and they are very expensive compared to domestic parts.
RSCamaro wrote:

Too long ago to matter.