Trying to charge battery - parking lights wont go off

I'm trying to start a 97 buick thats been sitting a while but the parking lights come on when I connect the charger. they stayed on over an hour with the charger connected and it still wont
crank. I have a bigger unit to try or maybe I should just pull the + terminal,but is there a way to kill them?
Some AM alarm systems are wired into the park lites and a defective alarm module can cause this.