U-Joint Cap

Am I seeing right?
My brother is buying my late uncle's 91 Cadillac Brougham, its RWD. I'm getting it ready for the 800 mile drive from Chicago to northern
Minnesota.
Today while I was under the car it looked like something was caught in the rear U - Joint. I pulled on it and a piece of thin metal came off in my hand. Can the caps covering the needle bearings rust away? These are the original u - joints with 63,000 miles.
This car needs Moparts than we originally figured on.....
Harryface
05 Park Avenue 36,687 91 Bonneville LE 306,317

Sounds like it needs new u-joints Dave. Fortunately, a quick and easy job.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Harry Face wrote:

Maybe you ought to tow it to it's resting place in Minnesota or at least make it a daily driver around town until the bugs come out.
Dummy me........
Turns out the rusty part of the u-joint was the metal tab that is tack welded on the caps to hold them in place during assembly.
Harryface