2005 4-door Accord. OK to disconnect batter for repair?

Hi.

I have enjoyed 40K+ trouble-free miles from this 'budget buggy". Well the other day, my right low beam hl went out. I run a lot of miles every day, and see a lot of cars. I rarely ever see a Honda with a burned out tail bulb, let alone a headlight. I mean I see more Toyotas, Mercedes, and big three with blown lights than Hondas.

Now, I lucked out this time. Had it been the left headlight, it would be a lot harder to get to, requiring removal of the battery (4 cyl). If that were the case, is there any thing that would get zapped by disconnecting/re-connecting the battery? Anything I have to reset?

TIA.

Reply to
Jim

make sure you have the code for the radio.

Other than that, no. Your ECU will have to relearn everything though... Usually I let the car idle for about 10 minutes before driving once the battery is reconnected.

Jim wrote:

Reply to
loewent via CarKB.com

Hmmmm...AFAIK it takes 2-3 'driving cycles' for the ECU to completely relearn the parameters.

Reply to
Hachiroku

You can get a little gadget that has a power-point plug at one end and connections for a 9-volt battery at the other. Connect a good fresh battery to it and plug the plug into your power point before you disconnect your battery. It should provide enough power to the electronics to maintain your settings while the battery is disconnected. I got one at Pep Boys a few years ago, for about $10, I think. Keep that radio code handy just in case, though.

I guess I shouldn't say anything, but I have never had to replace a headlight or taillight on the 2000 Accord I bought new seven years ago this month. I'm pretty impressed. I used to get about a year out of (aftermarket) bulbs in my '87 Civic.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Why do you need to disconnect the battery to change a light bulb on an '05 Accord? I've changed both low beam headlights and never disconnected the battery. You get at them under the fenders, and you have to turn the wheen accordingly to give yourself space. It's a PITA to do but that's about it. You'll need to take a couple clips off the cover in the wheel well too. The procedures and possibly diagrams are in the manual. No battery to disconnect and nothing to reset. Good luck!

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

He said if he had to replace the other headlight, removal of the battery is required to get access to the headlight.

Dave L wrote:

Reply to
loewent via CarKB.com

Yes, but in my experience, if you don't allow the car to idle for 5-10 minutes, you get a really low idle speed at stoplights and such.

Let it run for 5-10, but yes it will take 2-3 driving cycles for the fuel maps to set themselves properly in the ECU.

Hachiroku ???? wrote:

Reply to
loewent via CarKB.com

On the Accord hybrid V6 the manual says you need to remove the battery but I was able to change all headlights to HIR bulbs without removing the battery.

Reply to
Art

I know. However I'm able to change mine without removing the battery, and it's also 2005 Accord I4. For that matter, I don't even pop the hood to change my low beam headlights, so don't see why the batter even needs to be touched.

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

Any good links to read about what the ECU knows, what a "fuel map" is?

Thanx.

J.

Reply to
JXStern