91 Accord overheats

Car runs for 3 minutes or one kilometer then the temp gauge goes to red line hot. Turns off engine and wait for 4-5 minutes to cool and it goes back to
median. Runs again for 3 minutes or about half a mile or one kilometer and the gauge goes up again to hot.Was able to limp home using this cycle.
Upper radiator hose is very hot, lower hose is is just lukewarm. Got home and allowed t he engine to cool a bit. Removed the cap. Revving the engine and peeking through the open radiator cap doesn't produce any water flow but the level rises a bit. I don't think its the head gasket for I don't see any small bubbles coming out.
Could it be that the thermostat is stuck closed? Pump defective?

Hello, I suggest that you take the car to a radiator shop and have them do a test of your cooling system. An alternative would be to replace the thermostat just in case it is not working properly. Jason
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO