92 Civic 1.5 Cylinder Install

Chilton's says to install cylinder head, piston #1 should be at top dead center while the camshaft pulley reads "UP". This sounds pretty simple to me. However, I have a friend who's a mechanic and he insists
that I remove the crankshaft pulley in order to see the timing sprocket, which also has marks that need to be lined up correctly. I would be okay with that, too, if the crankshaft bolt wasn't installed at 180 ft. lbs. of torque. My air compressor and impact gun don't do the trick. I've also tried heating the bolt. The next method I'll employ is removing the starter to access the flywheel, which I can have my neighbor brace with a prybar while I jump from the roof onto the two-foot lead pipe slid onto the rachet. Before I do this, my questions are:
a) Is there a way to have everything lined up absolutely correctly without having to remove the crankshaft pulley?
b) Any more suggestions on removing the crankshaft bolt?
Thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

yes, buy and use the pulley holder tool like it says in the book. go to tegger.com and look for details. you may find you local dealer rents them out.
Already been to the rental place....the 250lb. electric impact wrench that tegger.com recommends didn't work for me. The chilton's manual doesn't say anything about a pulley tool.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

I do not "recommend" it except as a first-try. Later on I say you may need a 3/4" drive 600# job if lighter stuff doesn't work. Have you tried that yet?

Chilton is crap. So is Haynes. Helms all the way, baby. www.helminc.com
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
I would've tried it already if the rental places here offered one. Home Depot has a Rigid impact wrench w/ up to 700 ft. lbs., but I'm not quite desperate enough to throw down 200 clams for one use. I'm looking at used tools on Ebay now. There's a Chicago Electric Power impact wrench that claims a max. 400 ft. lbs. of torque. Looks like I can get it for around $30.
I agree that Chilton's is crap. (1. Disconnect negative battery cable 2. Overhaul Engine) I might also submit that, if indeed Helms is the best manual, their marketing department needs some work--never even heard of them.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

"you may find you local dealer rents them out." note the word *DEALER*. as in your local honda honda dealer may rent the proper honda tool out.

that's because it's utter carp. the money you wasted on that lining for a parrot's cage could have been put towards the tool rental.
The crankshaft pulley should have four marks on it. The white one is TDC. Align it with the pointer on the timing belt cover, per http://media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/media/manuals/ConcertoManual/62sk301/5-21.pdf
Otherwise, resources on how to break free a Honda pulley bolt: http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/cranktool/index.html
http://home.earthlink.net/~honda.lioness/id6.html

Don't pull the crank pulley, the mark on the cover is fine. line it up with the white mark and put the head on. the belt can be tensioned by pulling the plug out of the lower cover and accessing the bolt. I've done a countless number of these this way. tell your mechanic friend that the white mark on the outside is just as reliable as the one on the inside. Chip
On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 23:29:54 GMT, "Elle"

chip wrote:

that's the way it's /supposed/ to be done!