Five years is an excellent life span for a battery especially the OEM.
When you buy a new battery you can see how long each is warranteed for, and five years is a pretty premium level.
J.
On 2014-09-19 10:15 AM, Steve wrote:

> The battery is corroded and near dead.

Depends a bit on where you live, and what you do. I'm told that in Phoenix they often only last about 3 years. Accidentally running it down flat by leaving the lights on or such will reduce the life-time. My '91 Civic and '81 Corolla each lasted about 7.
That said failure at 4-5 years is common enough.

2nd factor is whether user switches off every component ( e.g. aircon / lights / wipers / heater ) before cranking ; this site says deep discharge will shorten life of *. 3rd factor is whether user can keep * state of charge high ( 80% full ) : I use 2solar panels ( in 2 cars ) to charge *, voltage must not >15.9v .
On Monday, November 10, 2014 12:32:58 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

st longer e.g. 6 yr in my cousin's BMW in Msia ( warm climate ). * in cold climate lasts longer.

ill shorten life of *.

I have a question regarding the above. My 2003 Pilot says I can leave the l ights on "automatic." That works for me because I want to use my headlights as daylight running lights. My issue is that they may damage the battery - -or something else-- as the lights are on before cranking. Then again a Sea rs battery is guaranteed for so many years. My safety is more important tha n a battery, and the A/C is always on anyway.
What am I playing with here?

No. Don't worry about it.
On Sunday, November 23, 2014 11:42:15 AM UTC-5, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

So are they in effect daylight running lights? I'm told they come on AFTER cranking the engine. The A/C would be more of a load.
In the meantime, "Life is short. Don't worry about batteries."