New Starter on an old Honda

My old Honda just got a new starter. It makes a grinding noise momentarily when I crank it over that sounds just like the sound that comes from trying
to start a running engine.
Our mechanic says that that noise can happen when a new starter's "sharp' gears" have some difficulty with the worn gears that they are meshing with, and that it should abate over time.
We trust our mechanic but wonder if there could be other factors at play here?
Thanks, Larry

It needs to be shimmed.

As Jim and Leftie say, it could be alignment... but I'm concerned it could be a lubrication problem in the new starter. If it doesn't get better in the next two weeks don't waste any more time - it will have to be fixed.
Mike
Larry B wrote:

The starter could be slightly misaligned, especially if it's aftermarket. Give it a week or so, and if there's no improvement at all, ask that he make it right.