Re: Toyota says no evidence 'runaway' Prius happened

Page 5 of 8

more accurately,YOU bought the wrong car for YOU.
Having the front-mounted motor drive the front wheels makes better use of interior space,gives better traction(and steerable!) under winter driving,and is more efficient.It eliminates a driveshaft and associated U- joints and weighs less than a comparable RWD setup.

In my 86 Prelude SI(THAT is "superb handling"),I drove for 12hrs straight,only stopping for gas,and felt like I could go another 5-6 hrs at the end of my trip. Orlando,FL - Hopkinsville,KY. Piece of cake. My 94 Integra GS-R would have been the same.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

I did not buy the Accord, this car was given to me.
Also, I know all of the advantages and disadvantages of RWD, FWD and AWD. I am just a big fan of 50/50 weight distribution, and I don't have much winter driving to consider in central Texas.
It is indeed more efficient, especially interior space-wise, but very often it also usually makes for more difficult repairs because of everything engine and drive-line related being crammed in front.
My main RWD preference is while driving, though. Having the power go the the rear wheels just feels better to me.

I did Texas to North Carolina and back twice in a 1996 Miata. Not too bad.
pws wrote:

"Very often it also usually"........Wow, I need a little better proofreading. :-)
Pat

My '91 Integra used to be great for 10-hour drives. Now my butt and right knee get sore after just three hours, and I need to do the tag-team thing with my buns (probably too much information there, sorry). I'm not sure if that's due to the /seat/ being 19-years-old, or /me/ being 19-years-older.
A brand-new driver's seat is $400. Considering the amount of time I spend in the 'Teg, it might not be such a bad expenditure.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

My best long-distance car was a 1990 Ford Thunderbird SC. As long as the car made it to the destination without breaking the transmission, it was a great ride. That car was "Found On Road Dead" a good many times in less than 2 years.
The main reason it was comfortable was the adjustable seats. Just touching a button would make changes in the seat that made a lot of difference when things got tired from being in one position for too long.
Now, I try to do the same general thing by moving a towel from place to place, but there have also been no trips longer than three hours in a long time.
The time I was pulled over and searched by the brain-dead highway patrol in Alabama for doing 60 in a 55 zone with Texas plates was the last time I drove long-distance. It's not worth the trip to me when I have to deal with bubbas wearing jackboots who find people guilty until proven innocent.

I drove my '06 Si 18 Hours from Buffalo to At Augustine, FL, and felt great. Pulled in to the Hotel, then hit the beach.
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com
Jim Yanik wrote:

Wondered about the Prelude as far as comfort. They had a dark green one on the showroom floor when we bought the Accord. I really liked it. Had the first push button start I'd ever seen. Even then it was a snug fit and I was a /few/ pounds lighter then.

My 86 Prelude SI drove like it was on rails,but IMO,underpowered and the brakes could have been stronger.Now,I'm not a big guy;5'7 at 160 (at that time..)so YMMV as far as fitting into the car.
The Integra had a GREAT motor,plenty of power if you wanted to turn ovr 6K RPMs(kinda noisy and noticable)and the brakes were good. But it didn't handle like the 'Lude.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

It's more fun to drive a slow car fast.
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

I agree 100%.
"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow" has been a favorite of mine for years.

I had the same experience with my 07 Prius the summer after I first got it.

My '91 'Teg is sneaking up on 340,000. It's at about 339,500.
I honestly never dared to think that it might go this far. And judging from its current behavior, oil usage, and emissions numbers, I'm thinking it might, possibly, actually hit 400,000.
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote:

If the motor gives out, you can always have it towed the last few miles.

Thanks for the invaluable tip.
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote:

Glad I can help.
Jeff

I am parsing that "invaluable" as not valuable. (You know, like "incorrect" is not correct.)

Having to explain a joke, ruins it. But I'll explain anyway.
"Invaluable" means "having value beyond measure", or "priceless". You can define my comment as "ironic", or "tongue in cheek".
Tegger's School of Humor is now closed, never to re-open. Maybe.
--
Tegger

Oh my! I though I could get away without a smiley.

Never underestimate the grimness of a Tegger. I'm so grim and dour you'd think I was Scottish.
Hey, I have a Scottish joke... Car salesman: This car will stop on a dime. Scotsman: That was my dime. Give it back.
I think this is a variation of a Jew joke, but you're not allowed to tell Jew jokes anymore.
--
Tegger

Did you hear about the guy who asked his Jewish roommate if he could borrow $50?
The roommate's response: "Fourty dollars? What do you want to borrow thirty dollars for? Do you know how much money twenty dollars is? And even if I had the ten, which I don't..."