Re: Toyota says no evidence 'runaway' Prius happened

Nasty wrote in news:4ba44df7$0$5088$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.newshosting.com:

My 86 Prelude SI drove like it was on rails,but IMO,underpowered and the brakes could have been stronger.Now,I'm not a big guy;5'7 at 160 (at that time..)so YMMV as far as fitting into the car.

The Integra had a GREAT motor,plenty of power if you wanted to turn ovr 6K RPMs(kinda noisy and noticable)and the brakes were good. But it didn't handle like the 'Lude.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Nasty wrote in news:4ba44e46$0$5088$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.newshosting.com:

InTEGra... thus the moniker "Tegger"....

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

SO? just because gas engines were stuck with that inherent trait means you copy it?

I note that that "automatic creep" got many people in trouble via "unintended accelleration",because they didn't keep their foot on the brake when they placed the trtanny into "drive",and it lurched forward,THEN they jammed on the gas instead of the brake. that "lurch" was the initiator.

Worse,in an electric car,that creep means you are using battery power even though you aren't applying the GO-pedal;a waste of scarce battery power.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote in news:elmop- snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Yes,it HAS to use battery power to "creep"; the electric motor doesn't produce force without it.

and I'm told the engine is not even on until battery power drops to some point and/or over a certain speed.

How do you know this? Is this mentioned somewhere in the manual? Got a CITE for it?

Because,frankly,if releasing the brake applies power to the motor,then there would be a surge to overcome inertia just like if "grandma" applied the go-pedal. It may be slight,but still some lurch as the motor spins up.

Grandma (and Grandpa) evidently STILL does that....

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Lucky you! Now you've got not only a car with unusually low milage, but even a year younger than you thought. No such luck for me. It is a '94 LX, though still running fine at almost 290 K miles. But then it was also assembled in Japan.

Now that could become my problem, too, because I don't use the A/C much either. Not much need for it where I live.

Reply to
Cameo

Oh my! I though I could get away without a smiley.

Reply to
Cameo

That brings up a question I've been wondering for some time. Which Integra model is closest to the Accord?

Reply to
Cameo

On the other hand, think of stopped traffic on a slight incline. Cars that do not have that creep often slide back a foot or two as the driver moves his foot from the brake to the gas pedal before starting from stop because most drivers are too clueless to use handbrake when starting on an uphill. That causes cars to bump into tailgaters behind them. The creep feature acts as a manual brake in such cases, preventing such fender benders.

Reply to
Cameo

None. They were closer to a Civic with a stiffer suspension and more powerful engine.

The Acura TL is an Accord with delusions of grandeur.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Excellent! I hope that mine gives such good service. This car was in one accident but it was repaired nicely and it drives without issue. My grandma never told us about that one.

She was 82 at the time and had no intention of giving up her license. She finally retired from driving in October of 2009 at the age of 92.

Reply to
pws

"Cameo" wrote in news:ho32qo$967$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal- september.org:

As Meyer says, none. All Integras and RSXs were Civic-based.

Honda in the US no longer sells Civic-based vehicles under the Acura nameplate; all US-market Acuras are based on the European or American Accord platform.

However, Honda in Canada does sell the 4-door Acura CSX, which is Civic- based. We're poorer up here, so Acura Canada needs a cheap car to help boost their volumes.

Reply to
Tegger

"Cameo" wrote in news:ho32n8$8he$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal- september.org:

Never underestimate the grimness of a Tegger. I'm so grim and dour you'd think I was Scottish.

Hey, I have a Scottish joke... Car salesman: This car will stop on a dime. Scotsman: That was my dime. Give it back.

I think this is a variation of a Jew joke, but you're not allowed to tell Jew jokes anymore.

Reply to
Tegger

dr_jeff wrote in news:IeadnWUO3uQsZznWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

To be more precise: Canada is "2", and Mexico is "3".

I don't think Honda makes Accords in Canada or Mexico.

Reply to
Tegger

It's more fun to drive a slow car fast.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

You're missing the point.

You say "the motor consumes power even while you have the brake on". No, it doesn't.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Not at all.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Yes--because their goal is to SELL CARS, and the public expects that cars behave in certain ways.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Bullshit. You're using battery power only when you're in D and you're not using the brakes.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

I like that one!

It translates well into a Scottish joke too.

Reply to
Tegger

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

that's the parameters stated for this debate; the car creeps in gear with no brakes applied and no go-pedal input. try to keep up.

Reply to
Jim Yanik