Removing a 1990 Civic radio

Can someone help, or point me to a website or something with instructions on this?
I'm trying to replace the original radio (a Philips DC680) in a 1990
Honda Civic. I've got the cover panel off, but can't figure out how to release the side catches: they don't appear to be the modern system of using a slide-in key to lift the side spring-catches.
It presumably involves removing the copper-coloured springs on the sides that can be seen in this picture -- but I don't see how one does that:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/harvey.vansickle/temp/radio.jpg
Any help greatly appreciated.
--
Cheers,
Harvey
HVS wrote:

The original equipment radio on my '88 Civic was bolted in with a bracket attached to the back of the radio.
For future reference see http://www.installdr.com /
Eric
On 31 May 2007, Eric Johnson wrote

Ah; that would explain why I couldn't fathom it!
I'll look more closely at it -- thanks for the link.
--
Cheers,
Harvey
HVS wrote:

I also had to remove the center dash console. There should be some screws along the sides that hold it in, 4 in total one of which is hidden by the glove box. You'll have to disconnect the electrical connector for the cigarette lighter as well in order to remove the center console.
On 31 May 2007, Eric wrote

-snip-

Thanks; sounds like fun...
Why can't stuff like this be *simple*? ;)
--
Cheers,
Harvey
HVS wrote:

It is simple. Once you remove the center console, which is fairly easy to do, everything is out in the open.
Eric