Ugly MPG surprises after tire / wheel upgrades?

I'm contemplating upgrading wheels and tires on a new LX 4cyl 5M, and the Tirerack surveys really don't offer much info regarding fuel economy of tires.
I'd rather not give up more than 1-2 MPG in the search for better handling, ride or other performance aspects, so I'd like to hear from people about their MPG after changing OE tires.
Does MPG typically fall when changing to a 16, 17, 18, etc., wheel or is it more a function of the specific tire chosen?
What combination of larger wheel / tires produced a relatively small drop in fuel economy?
At the same OE size, do any tires perform better than the stock Michelins for fuel economy?
Last: What combination of wheel / tire gave you the best handling with only modest sacrifices in compared to Michelin Energy MXV4 S8s?
Thanks in advance.
-- CL.
+-----------------------------------------+ | Charles Lasitter | Mailing / Shipping | | 401/728-1987 | 14 Cooke St | | cl+at+ncdm+dot+com | Pawtucket RI 02860 | +-----------------------------------------+
I notice very little difference between running 195/60/15s and 215/40/17s!
Charles Lasitter wrote:

if you stay with the same overall tire and wheel dia there should be no measurable change in milage. KB
--
ThunderSnake #9 Warn once, shoot twice
460 in the pkup, 460 on the stand for another pkup