2006 Sonata oil filter

Page 2 of 2

Don't you open the door from the INSIDE to get out :-) I do, and haven't had that problem yet. I really hate when I am getting in the car and I close the door only to have it pop open again.
Eric
Tom wrote:

I just got back from my first trip of any length with my Sonata and was disappointed in the mileage. I got 30.8 on the outbound leg (200 miles) which is basically what I've been getting commuting to work. This was on good two-lane roads (routes 6 and 66 in Western PA), however, we did get caught in a couple of construction zones and spent a fair number of miles driving around Grove City so that may have offset the highway mileage. The car seemed to do real well on the way back, but I haven't filled it up to check yet. I made the trip back (190 miles) and the gauge was right on the 3/4 tank mark. I typically get 140-150 before it hits this point so I think the mileage on the highway was pretty good. However, I'll drive it to work this week before filling it again so that will bring the average down a little. Still need a good long highway trip to get a good test.
Matt

Bear in mind that those numbers were for the LX model as I recall. The GLS V6 is significantly lighter than the LX, but a bit heavier than the GL-4. With my traction control off, I have done a few 6.5 sec. 0-60 unofficial runs. While I agree that it would be close to 30 MPH, I would be ahead and pulling away. With that said, the 4 has my respect compared to other 4's of the same class.
Eric
Eric G. wrote:

That wasn't my recollection, but unfortunately the web site now has the 07 models. The big difference was the V-6 vs. the 4, not the trip levels. Even the automatic trans doesn't add that much weight, it was the engine and the heavier suspension required to support it that appears to be the big difference. Even for the 07 models the Limited (which appears to be the successor to the LX) and the SE (appears to be similar to the former GXL-V6) have identical weights. The GLS (successor to the GL) weighs more than 200 lbs less than the SE and Limited with the standard transmission and just under 200 lbs less with the automatic. 200 lbs makes a difference on a car that weighs less than 3500 lbs.
The standard shift tranny also has a slightly lower final drive ratio than the 5 speed automatic (althought it is higher than the 4 speed auto if the web site is correct - but this doesn't seem right so I'm wondering if they made a typo). However, not knowing the 1st gear ratios I don't know if the overall ratio is less or more for the 4 cylinder. I'm guessing it is a fair bit lower given the relatively minor performance difference from the 50% more torque in the V-6. I suspect that much of that torque advantage is lost in the gearing.
Matt
Matt Whiting wrote:

I meant to also post this link to the weights.
http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicle/sonata/specs/specs.aspx

The 07's don't really compare. My GLS only has 16" wheels. I would imagine that is probably 50 lbs. right there, but admittedly, that is a guess. I can only guess at the rest too, since none of the car magazines that I read tested a GLS V6 (all LX's), but you've got a few other things that could easily add up to 50 lbs. or more.
The final drive ratio is so small of a difference it is insignificant, but like you said, the 5 gear ratios could be different. Although both being 5 speeds I would suspect they are similar too.
If you have ever been into reading the car magazines like I have for the last 25 years, you would know that the numbers even they come up with are variable and not always accurate. Car and Driver seems to have the most consistant numbers and it put the LX at 6.6 seconds to 60 MPH. I'd be willing to bet that the GL I4 would be in the low 8's for a 0-60 run. That is a very significant difference. You don't just add 50% more torque and HP and reduce your times by 50%, even if you could keep the weight the same. It is far from a linear relationship.
Eric
Eric G. wrote:

I'm 95% sure that the 06 figures were similar with the V-6 models coming in ~200 lbs heavier than the I-4. Unfortunately, I don't see an archive with the 06 data at the Hyundai web site.

Usually standard transmission cars are geared much lower than the automatics so I suspect that the 3.77 really should be for the 5 speed manual and the 3.44 for the 4-speed automatic. Then the 3.33 for the 5 speed automatic would be consistent as it could handle a higher final drive ratio as it likely has a lower 1st gear given the extra gearset.

I was using the numbers Hyundai published. I don't see why they would have any reason to intentionally skew the V-6 vs. the 4 cylinder. I suspect their profit margin is larger on the V-6 so if anything the would want to make the V-6 look better against the 4 rather than worse.
Since F=ma, if the torque is 50% greater then the acceleration will be 50% greater also since this is a linear relationship.
However, since x(t) = 1/2*a*t^2, t=sqrt((2*x(t)/a)), the difference in time will vary as to the square root of the change in acceleration. So a 50% increase in acceleration will yield only a 22% reduction in time over a given distance (say 1/4 mile). However, this assumes all else is equal, which it isn't as the V-6 is a couple of hundred pounds heavier and has different gear ratios. I believe the performance posted by Hyundai had the performance difference being only in the 10% range. I posted the stats a while back, but don't remember them precisely from memory now.
Matt
Matt Whiting wrote:

Actually, isn't the aluminum block 2.7L *lighter* than the cast iron block 2.4L?
Is the 3.3L a cast iron block?
BTW - HP is a silly figure, the greater torque curve dictates the drivability of a car, the peak torque/HP means much less than most people want to put into it..
I do miss my Explorer's ungodly low-end torque... I don't miss the pansy french-built transmissions said torque destroyed...
JS
JS wrote:

I don't know. I was going simply by the GVW published by Hyundai.

I agree. Torque is the name of the game for all practical purposes. Horsepower's only relevance is for top speed.
Matt
Matt Whiting wrote:

I dunno... Can you have 3 cylinders shut down and it keep running?
On the 2.7 you can ;)
Of course that only happens on the occasion a cam jumps time (ouch), or somebody forgets to plug the 'rear bank' of fuel injectors back in ;)
JS
I dunno, my 2.7 has http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/PartDetail.asp?PartQ324 screwed to it right now.
Damned nice filter. I think you could smack it with a roofing hammer and not dent it.
JS
Tom wrote:

well...one more time...I got 06 Sonata V-6 filters from Haddah Hyundai in Springfield Mass for $6.75 with free shipping...the freeshipping was only for the month of March. I also ordered cabin air filters and engine air filters for Cheap!!! This is the third time I have posted this message...so if you guys want to pay 20 bucks...go ahead!! http://www.haddadhyundaiparts.com / 800-444-2442
Can't speak for anyone else but I looked at Haddah when you first mentioned it. OK, no online ordering and no price lists. Might be a fine dealer but having to order by email or a phonecall is kind of last century.
Deck wrote:

OK see my new top post...www.hyundaiparts.net...buy 'em by the case on LINE!!