Ambient Temp sensor Experience

Hi Group, I was driving through a remote mountainous part of Wa. state yesterday running perfectly when in the next second the service engine light came on & the 2001 XG went into limp mode big time. I turned it around with difficulty & went back a very short distance to an Indian Reservation office area (where the people were very friendly -& seriously, I learned that I wasn't driving a car but riding my 'war pony). I tried revving the engine but any response was weak. I shut it off & since there was no service available anywhere nearby, I lifted the battery connection off momentarily to reset the computer. I started it up & it ran fine. However as we got back into British Columbia, & the day got later & colder, I went to engage the heater. Well damn if the AC didn't come on & all I got was cold air when I wanted warm! I checked the ambient temp & it showed it was 27C ( about high 80's F). It was really real close to freezing. I drove home cold. Next day I checked the HMA site, pulled the ambient temp sensor & put in a

80 Kohm resistor to match the just above freezing temp this morning. Sure enough the display read 3C . Put the original sensor back & it showed 22C (like a warm summer day) . Then after cursing Hyundai profusely as this is my 4th electrical problem in as many months, I noticed this sensor says .......can you believe it FORD!!. Now for me that was good news b/c living as remotely as we do, I didn't stand a snowball's chance in Hell of getting the replacement part any time soon but since this thing was Ford , even my little local NAPA stocked it. But what really sucked in all this was how totally disabled the car was instantly with no warning. I suspect many others would have called a wrecker & it really was all over a cheap part that apparently is prone to failure (& hence stocked by the little NAPA in our town of 700. My next car is going to be a pre 1990's something! BCinBC
Reply to
B Crawford

I just experienced the same problem in my '93 Ford after the sudden drop in temp we had in Seattle recently. Your message gives me hope that I will be able to find a replacement. BTW, my temp reader goes colder than real.

Reply to
James

You've got two separate problems. The ambient temperature sensor won't affect the way the car runs. While you've done a great job of diagnosing the HVAC issue, you still have no idea what was making your car enter limp-home mode. At this point, you'll probably need to wait for the check engine lamp to come on again.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Reply to
B Crawford

No, that won't affect the ambient temp sensor.

Reply to
hyundaitech