DIY A/C Recharge kit for 2002 Sonata GLS

Page 2 of 2
Eric G. wrote:

You might not need a vacuum pump for your AC service, but I sure do.
Of course, I like my AC cold and my pumps happy and long lasting. Iced up orifice tubes suck.
JS

Automotive AC's don't use orifice tubes, they use TXV's for metering.
gerry
--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com

'Sorry, but you don't need a vacuum pump. If you have good gauges, hooked up to the right ports, know the ambient air temp., and how much charge the system is supposed to have, you can fill the system properly without a problem. Eric '
REPLY: If the system is totally empty, you WILL need a vaccuum pump to rid the system of air and moisture and do it correctly. Further, you dont 'fill' an auto a/c system (to the top) ; it has to be accurately metered in and depends on a variety of factors . You will NOT know how much freon to put in unless you weigh in the EXACT amount which requires a Charging Cylinder that is marked off in lbs and ounce increments .. which requires you to know how to use it properly ; if y ou just add freon from a store bought kit , you are only guessing . If youre a consumer, stay away from touching your a/c system except to power wash your Condensor Coil routinely.
[original post is likely clipped to save bandwidth] On Sat, 12 Aug 2006 10:49:54 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Dave in Lake Villa) wrote:

Actually, if the system has stood without pressure and a leak, chances are the hygroscopic PAG or POE oil has been permanently contaminated. Drain, flush and changing the dryer is the only way to get the acid that forms when moisture hits the R-134 compatible oils out.
Old R-12 systems used mineral oil that was not affected by moisture.
gerry
--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com

'Actually, if the system has stood without pressure and a leak, chances are the hygroscopic PAG or POE oil has been permanently contaminated. Drain, flush and changing the dryer is the only way to get the acid that forms when moisture hits the R-134 compatible oils out.'
REPLY: Correct. And you still need the Vaccuum Pump for pulling a deep vaccuum once the system is cleaned up .
In older a/c systems, the manufacturer used to include a sight glass for recharging ; you hardly ever see this on systems any more. One would simply add freon thru the low side until the high side sight glass was clear of bubbles. Without this sight glass on the system, you must accurately weigh in the freon charge using an accurate clear Charging Cylinder with graduation markings on the side ; something that is not available to the public. To not use this method, is only guessing at the charge you have put in.