Fram aftermarket Sonata Oil Filter - Failure!

Page 2 of 3
> GUEST wrote: > Several Months ago, there was some discussion about aftermarket oil filters > for the Sonata. I had purchased a Fram PH9999. I
took several pictures of > it - the filter, O rings, and took similar pictures of the genuine Hyundai > filter. Matt Whiting had the following to say: "The pictures are very nice. > In the pictures, it appears that both the filter media and the inner o-rings > (I think they are o-rings anyway) are a different color from the Hyundai > filter. This may be inconsequential or it may mean that these materials are > materially (pun intended!) different from the Hyundai filter. I'd want to > know if this was my engine." > > Well, Matt hit the nail on the head. Around the end of August, I did an oil > change, and installed the Fram filter in my 2006 Sonata. All was well until > I noticed the oil stain on my driveway yesterday. (My wife drives the car). > This morning, I looked under the hood, and found oil had been leaking from > between the cap and the filter housing. I tried to give it a turn, and found > it tight. I started the engine, and the entire filter housing was almost > immediately covered in oil. I took the filter cap off, hoping that it wasn't > cracked. > > It wasn't. The O ring for the cap was flat. It actually had hardened. I've > changed the oil in the car like 6 times now, and the Hyundai O ring was > still round and soft (flexible) when replaced. The Fram O ring actually is > now flat on the outside, and was really hard. I have pictures of the Hyundai > O ring I replaced it with up against the Fram O ring I removed. My server is > currently dead, so I anyone's got either a way to host them, or suggestions > as to how I can link to them, let me know (my email address is valid), and > I'll either email them to you, or follow whatever instructions so everyone > can see. > > I think a contributing factor was the cold weather we had the past few > days - pretty close to 30. I would have noticed the oil on the driveway, and > the way the oil flowed out, it would have made a really big puddle, and ran > the oil level down in the car. I suspect that as soon as the oil warms, it > quits leaking. > > I figure there's no point in trying to contact Fram about this - I can > picture how their customer service would react - denial.
The best oil filter is the one on sale. I think I have used about every brand made over the years and never had engine problems. The Walmart brand seems to work fine.
However, I have noticed over the years that every now and then one will leak a little. Not sure why but it does not seem to be any particular brand.
Just change the oil and filter regularly and keep an eye on the oil level and you will be OK.
Luke
southluke wrote:

Do you go to the cheapest hospital and doctor when you are sick?
Matt
Wait til you get on Medicare and HAVE to go to the cheapest and least experienced hospital/doctor because the good ones are no longer accepting Medicare patients since our government is cutting the doctors' allowed charges. Sad but true.

Tom wrote:

There is a difference between having to go cheap and choosing to go cheap. The discussion was about choosing cheap and then claiming it didn't matter.
Matt
The perception that price = quality is no longer valid,,, unfortunately. Everywhere you look, you see 'Made in China'. I was at the optometrist yesterday and looked at $300 frames made in China with designer labels. $300 would be a year's salary for many over there. Don't equate 'cheap' cost with cheap quality. It no longer has any bearing.

Tom wrote:

It certainly isn't the only metric, but it does hold for many, many products. Every oil test I've seen shows correlation between quality and price.
Matt
I should also say that I have 40 years of engineering and product design management experience in the packaging industry segment and I was constantly under severe pressure to 'cheapen' the product to compete with off-shore products. One one occasion I was told by the CEO of our $2.5 Billion corporation to 'make the product JUST good enough to pass the tests." Therefore, seeing 'Made in USA' on a Purolator filter, sadly, does not mean it is better than one made elsewhere. I say 'sadly' because I hate buying products made off-shore, but I do it to stretch my dollar. We all do it.

Tom wrote:

I have only 25 years of engineering and engineering management experience [but in a $6B company - :-)], and I've never had any such mandate. However, that really is the essence of engineering. The key is what the specifications are against which the product is being tested. I designed products and manufacturing equipment, not packaging, but I can see a distinct difference between packaging and products for longer-term use. If the packaging is good enough to protect the contents while it is in transit, that is all that is needed. Making it two times better adds no value. Products that will see a long service live under widely varying conditions are a little bit different.
Matt
Our 275 gallon containers routinely last 5 years or more carrying hazardous chemicals. It is scary when you relate that to what I said. I find it very strange that you never were under cost constraints. You must have been making the overpriced machinery that we bought. :o) Our company was still 'small' enough to not be insulated from upper management. We routinely conversed and interacted with them. They actually knew what was going on at the 'floor' level - a trait missing in too many of our companies being run by MBA's and accountants.

Tom wrote:

I never said I wasn't under cost constraints. I said that I'd never had a mandate from the CEO to to "make the product JUST good enough to pass the tests."
I'm not insulated from upper management. I had the CEO, the President and COO and the CTO in my lab just a few months ago and they are visiting my project again next week...
Matt
My fram for 06 sonata says "Made in Korea"
I just saw a Purolator filter for the 07 Santa Fe: made in India.
There you go!!! The cheap of the cheap...................

Didn't you just say that the country of origin was no indication of quality? Or by "cheap", do you simply mean "least expensive".
Tom wrote:

I was using the comments of 'others' to show them that, if they were correct in their proposition that country of origin makes them cheaper, then you can't get any 'cheaper' than India. That was a revered Purolator filter that was made in India, not a Fram. ALL companies under pricing pressure are reverting to the lowest cost producer and making things 'just good enough' to do the job. Fact of life.

That's interesting in that mine did not specify. I posted a bunch of pictures of it in the ~ June timeframe just after they appeared in the stores. The failed filter was installed around the end of August. I looked at the O-ring again, and it is still compressed looking.
Deck wrote:

I'd DIE before I put that cheap Korean crap on my Hyundai.
PB

That filter may well be a genuine Hyundai filter repackaged by Fram.

You've joking, right? Your car is "Made in Korea". Even if it's assembled in the US, most of the parts are made in Korea.
Bob wrote:

Gee, Bob, that one went WAY over your head. You need to get your sarcasm detector fixed! :-)
Matt

With the twist in the thread that occurred earlier, one just can't tell......