Would you buy again ?

Page 3 of 3
Wayne Moses wrote:

Also take Consumer Reports with a large dose of salt. They are quite biased and don't track the long-term reliability of vehicles. And there data is from a bunch of "names" who are their subscribers and thus aren't necessarily a representative sample of drivers nationwide.
I've own two cars that were at nearly opposite extremes of CR ratings: a 1984 Accord and a 1989 Acclaim. The Accord, though drooled over by CR, was a POS. The day I traded it on the Acclaim was one of the happiest days of my life. CR constantly panned the Acclaim, but that was the best car I've ever owned. The Sonata may supplant it, but I'll need at least another 100K miles before making that assessment.
The Acclaim was bullet-proof. When my wife totaled it in a deer accident at 143,000 miles, it still had the original exhaust system and the only thing it had required other than normal maintenance and wear items was a new flex plate that cracked at around 100,000 miles. The Accord had required more repairs in the first 60,000 miles (including a $900 exhaust system and that was back in the 80s!) than the Acclaim required in its entire life. The Accord engine failed at 72,000 miles and required a new top end (camshaft and complete set of rocker arms), whereas the Acclaim engine was absolutely bullet-proof up to 143,000 miles. Change the oil and filters and run it. Even the engine accessories were original when it was totaled.
So, take CR with a BIG dose of salt. They give you their initial impressions in their tests and then depend on subscriber surveys for data longer term, but even that ends at 5 years as I recall.
Personally, I've found the "long term" (typically still only a year or so) tests that Popular Mechanics runs are much more useful that CRs results. And PM isn't afraid to also criticize Japanese cars unlike CR who seems to think the Japanese can do no wrong.
Matt
Matt Whiting wrote:

Then there is the 'Honda/Toyota Syndrome'
The inability,to publicly admit that one has had problems with said vehicles.
Denial, embarrassment, separation from the herd?...not sure why, but I know it exists.
L.

desgnr wrote:

Absolutely! My current Elantra is my second Hyundai. I bought it specifically because of the great service I got from my first one.
Ditto that Brian!
--
Steve, 2006 Sonata LX

AZ home for sale in growing area near Laughlin, NV-

Do you work for Hyundai?
- Thee Chicago Wolf

;-)

WITHOUT hesitation . We operate a large number of vehicles and this years NF Sonata FOUR!!! 2.4 motor Has been more than fantastic 80% is over dirt roads
A few Honda and BMW folk have also made the switch and On a Scale of 10 give it a FULL 10 And we are covering 6000 Km a week Just a truly fantastic car
Considering I wanted the Caprice or BMW This product is one of the most pleasant surprises of vehicles ever Can send photos of the conditions it operates in
NO dust leeks NO rattles NO squeks No service or tune issues OUTstanding fuel economy av 7.9 litres per 100 K's at an average speed of 85-90km per hour Thing is as tough as guts enjoy if/when you get one
coming up to 400,000km on mine, I would if my Elantra quits (don't know when)

I currently own three Hyundais. Here is my answer. Yes, No, Yes. In that order.
14) about "Re: Would you buy again ?":
>> Do you guys recommend buying a Hyundai ?
j> I currently own three Hyundais. Here is my answer. Yes, No, Yes. In j> that order.
You sound confused ... ;-)
Regards
'Would you buy again ? '
REPLY: Yes. Im on my second Hyundai and ive bought my folks two as well. The reliability has more than surpassed my expectations with 45,000 miles on my current 2002 SantaFe , and fuel economy has actually increased since replacing the spark plugs with Bosch Plus 4 plugs along with performance type Ignition Wires fairly recently. I like the styling, comfort, sound system, soft ride, and outstanding warranty. Hyundai has earned my loyalty and respect. Its amazing how this Company has gone from making crap back in the 1980's to enjoying a good American and worldwide market share.
Reply to message from snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Dave in Lake Villa) (Wed, 05 Sep 2007 18:13:05) about "Re: Would you buy again ?":
D> SantaFe , and fuel economy has actually increased since replacing the D> spark plugs with Bosch Plus 4 plugs along with performance type D> Ignition Wires fairly recently.
Can you quantify this increase? What wires did you get and was your radio reception affected?
When I had my Elantra GT and put Plus 4s in it with stock wires I saw no change in fuel economy.
Regards
'and fuel economy has actually increased since replacing the D> spark plugs with Bosch Plus 4 plugs along with performance type D> Ignition Wires fairly recently. '
YOU :Can you quantify this increase? What wires did you get and was your radio reception affected?
ME : I picked up another 1-1.5 mpg in fuel economy both around town and highway going 60 mph. Radio reception was not affected. I cant remember the name of the Ignition Wire Set i bought at a local Car Parts place, but i asked if they had access to Higher Performance type Ignition wires for hyundai , and they did. Ill research this more tomorrow and let you know.
Reply to message from snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Dave in Lake Villa) (Fri, 07 Sep 2007 21:38:15) about "Re: Fuel Mileage increase due to plugs and wires":
D> ME : I picked up another 1-1.5 mpg in fuel economy both around town and D> highway going 60 mph. Radio reception was not affected. I cant remember D> the name of the Ignition Wire Set i bought at a local Car Parts place, D> but i asked if they had access to Higher Performance type Ignition D> wires for hyundai , and they did. Ill research this more tomorrow and D> let you know.
Much appreciated. Thanks for the numbers also.
Regards

DEFINITELY ! I'm on Hyundai number 7 , a big plus are forums like this where I can get technical info and avdice where I can do most repairs myself (Like replaceing clutches )