Old subject: engine oil loss

I know the subject has been rehashed in this forum more than once, but I just found interesting note on the web (http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic130758.htm ) stating oil usage is due
to insufficient drainage in oil control rings. My Trooper 98 (3.5L V6, 110K miles) is consuming 1qt every 300-400miles, and I've tried all sorts of oil additives with no effect whatsoever. I'm wondering if these oil control rings can be changed to eliminate the problem? If so, where would I look for new ones and how much work is involved? Any ideas?
TIA, Peter
Peter wrote

without mentioning the specific brand for fear of it being interpreted as spam, my solution was to switch to a full-synthetic 10w-40 as any 10w-30 caused oil loss

I'm switching to half-synth 10w-40 as full synth at my mileage seems like total waste of money. Will report how it behaves.
My trusted mechanic proposed another take on this: spark plugs seem to be clean (so probably is not burning it off), but oil filler cap lacks rubber seal. It could be that oil is slowly being forced out thru filler cap, and since it happens only when driving there's no visible leakage under the car. Any comments?
Peter

You'll see streaks and dirty gunk on the engine itself, so unless your engine bay looks like hell it's probably not that.
rhys

It ALWAYS looks like hell. Whaddya expect after putting in 1qt every 400miles and spilling some every time?
Peter

Sorry for the empty replay before.
try hiring/borrowing a low pressure steam cleaner/waterblaster and throuroghly cleaing the engine bay, and after topping up the oil wipe down any new spills, see if a lot of gunk builds up again.
rhys
I have been using a full synthetic, with a "1" in it's name, for over 3000 miles in my 98 Trooper. I have used 0W-20 as has been suggested in this group, and in other forums, as the cure for this oil control ring problem. My experience so far: a waste of money. The synthetic has made NO difference whatsoever in my Trooper's thirst for oil. It still has required an additional quart every 1000 miles or so, just as it did on regular dino oil. I have been adding more M^&*%-1 when it got low, but my patience with this "cure" is wearing thin and I suspect the next quart is gonna be back to dino oil.
Keith '98 Trooper

I have since totaled our 98 Trooper (98,000 miles), but it was using a quart every 1,500 miles or so. I used Mobil 1 10W30 since about 10,000 miles (we bought it new).
The last few oil changes, I found that by mixing 50/50 of Mobil 1 5W30 and Mobil 1 15W40, reduced consumption considerably. Consumption dropped to about 1/2 quart in 2,000 miles, which I consider much better. When it would use some, I would refill with 15W40.
YMMV.
- -- Curtis Newton snipped-for-privacy@remove-me.akaMail.com http://surf.to/cnewton <delete remove-me. to respond to email> ICQ: 4899169