97 xk8

took my 97 xk8 (purchased new nov 97) to the dealer several times over the last few years because of an oil leak from the tranny. the dealer reported every time 'not found'. now that the car is out of warranty, they found the leak! performed a tranny gasket replace and flush. charged $45 per quart!!! for tranny fluid!!! is this right? anyhow, i picked the car up saturday and the tranny now makes a squeaky/squeally noise on hard acceleration upshifts. never made the noise before. shift bands??

i took it back to the dealer and they said it was probably low on fluid, and that it was not surpising that it left the shop low on fluid. said there was no dipstick and that is was a very difficult prodecure to fill the trans fluid properly.

am i looking at a bad tranny now? driven about 25 miles total while making this noise.

any advice out there?

bob wass

ps. does anyone have a recommendation for a good jaguar mechanic in los angeles (san Fernando valley)?

Reply to
bob wass

As I recall, the MB trans requires a special tool (which is nothing but a dipstick) to check the fluid. The filler tube cap has a one-use seal, which is broken off, the cap removed, the tool is inserted and removed to check the level. They were sent one as a "special tool" some time ago, if they don't have one then one of their techs ran off with it and they need to need to order a new one.

Besides all that, if they pulled the pan then they can refill it per the capacity specs, which are found in the ownwers manual and in the service literature. I know it's a struggle for some dealers, but simply READING THE INSTRUCTIONS often can be a big help.

Who the Hell is this dealer, anyway?

Unless it was VERY low on fluid, I sincerely doubt it. Regardless, they're on the hook if they left it low.

1) get a refund for the $45 /qt fluid. 2) Put them on notice re: any future damage from it being given back to you low on fluid.

Dealers: you gotta love em!

Reply to
Jerry McG

The MB trans was used on supercharged Jags because, at the time, the ZF was not strong enough. After 02 all Jags returned to the ZF transmissions.

BD

Reply to
Blake Dodson