97 Wrangler Defroster problems

Just bought a '97 TJ, 2.5L, 5speed, with soft top and 59000 miles. I am having problems with the dealer on fixing the defroster. Oh well, will find out myself and either fix it myself or take it to a alternative dealer.

Here is the problem: I only have heat blowing out of the window defrosters on the side and by my feet. The dealer who I bought it from said you can only fix it buy buying the whole duct work unit behind the dash. At a cost of $400. They said they were not going to spend that, and were going to fix it buy making a part to fix the problem. First things first. Is this part really $400? and Do you have to buy the whole unit for just to get the rod they supposedly need?

If anybody has any insight on this problem I would appreciate it. Also, I think I am mechanically inclined enough to fix it myself. Just need to be sent to the right location to order the parts.

Thanks

Reply to
markdgordon2002

Does it only blow on the floor and side defrosters on all settings? Mine did that when I first got it in 98 and it ended up being the vacuum hose on the intake was off. Tqm

Reply to
Tqm

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Yes, The dealer said a rod was missing though.

Reply to
markdgordon2002

He wants your money right?

I sure would check that vacuum line out, it does cause your symptoms if it's off.

The $tealer might be right, but.....

Mike

Mike Romain