adjusting doors

I picked up a set of used steel half doors for my TJ. The passenger side door hits very low on the door latch. Needs adjusted if possible. Before I break the paint on the bolts, is there a way to adjust the door by the hinges?

Reply to
JimG

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Don't move or adjust the hinge on the side that is bolted to the tub itself or it will screw up the alignment of your other doors.

Mount the new half doors and close the door all the way. Then loosen the hinge bolts that go into the new door and with the door still closed, move the door around so it is centered, then securely tighten up the bolts again.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

I would not attempt to adjust the hinge plates on the Jeep as this will cause the other doors you have to not fit properly.

I would hang the new doors, then loosen the hinges ON THE DOORS and move the new door(s) so it(they) hang properly, and close well.

The latch on the door can also be moved to align with the striker on the tub.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The quick and dirty way is to put a washer (or 2) on the bottom half of each hinge and then set the door in place.

Reply to
Jeepster

I am just putting my hard doors on my 'glass body for the first time and I have an alignment issue with the door being slightly too low. My soft doors fit perfect.

So I added 2 - 3/8" washers to the hinge pin last night to see where that lines it. It raised the rear by the latch close to 1/2". I am going to drop it down to one washer today and see where that lines it.

My clearance need is only at the bottom edge and it needs to be moved up square all along.

I have visions of having to take a torch to the hinges on the door side to burn off the paint so I can get a torx in there properly to loosen the bottom one for the latch alignment if the single washer is too much. You 'will' strip the torx bolts if you don't clean the paint out first. The paint makes the next smallest torx fit and then the paint crushes allowing it to strip out. Been there, seen it, way too many times.

Man I am 'really' impressed with my 'Canadian made' fiberglass body!

Everything fits like a glove. The hard top fits on perfect, the hard doors fit the opening 'perfectly' for shape and I have even rolled the thing once with this body on.

If your door fits the opening, you don't say yes or no, then I sure wouldn't touch the hinges. The door striker post is adjustable. You can just use a torx wrench and likely a helper vise grip to loosen it the first time, then set it higher and tighten it back up. That striker has a fair bit of adjustment in it. This takes about 30 seconds and can be done easily when swapping doors or if you look maybe the other door was borderline for lining on the striker too?

Mike

JimG wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

That would likely be my 'missing' spacer. One steel washer does the trick on both sides.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Doors? Me? Real Jeeps haven't got doors, Bill. You of all people should know that.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I tried that for one winter man. It became tiring to have to go shovel

2" of snow out every time I want to go someplace.

Got lots of strange looks though...

Mike

Jeff Strickland wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

That was a typo. It should have read 2'!

Mike

Mike Roma>

Reply to
Mike Romain

That's what Jeeping is all about! I drove there, paused for the pic(s), and drove out. I had my kid with me, but she took the opportunity of the photo op to jump and run.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland