ATF / Oil Change Question

I have heard some scuttle butt about adding a quart of ATF during an oil change,,,,, What does it accomplish? Is there a benefit to doing this? Are there any negative side effects?

just curious, jaco 93 YJ

Reply to
jaco

jaco did pass the time by typing:

Some folks use ATF before doing an oil change because it breaks down the sludge. There are better things out there (like NAPA sea-foam) that do the same thing. Just be careful, in older engines you can break loose the gunk that's built up in the galley and valve cover and some of those chunks can block passages.

I've found the best way is to simply up the oil changes using el-cheapo dino juice or those handy 19$ oil change coupons that show up in the paper every now and then. About a month between changes then back to synthetic.

Reply to
DougW