Re: Change dark ATF ?

Make sure you check and change your final drive fluid while you are at it

> (same ATF fluid, but different reservoir). My Corolla "final drive" just > went out and I had no idea that this was separate from the transmission ATF. > I'm sure the final drive fluid was never changed or even checked. The > transmission shop said this was common for Toyotas and that it would cost > $1800 to fix the final drive, so the car is headed for the junkyard.

Was that a 4wd Corolla? I've never heard of/seen a separate reservoir on any of my front wheel drive Corolla's.

Reply to
someone

Tom Alverson

Scott in Florida

Reply to
Tegger®

"Tegger®" wrote

You "thought" wrong.

Is that right? Which FWD car would you happen to be thinking of? You might want to go do some research and then restate your position. I'll give you a start, your new position will go something like this, "some diffs in some FWD cars do have hypoid gears, which require the use of hypoid type lubricant"

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Reply to
Scott in Florida

All Corolla 3 spd FWD automatics (A131L) have a separate final drive reservoir, filled with ATF.

Reply to
Philip®

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Scott in Florida

Reply to
Philip®

In news:HS2dc.44647$Pk3.21238@pd7tw1no, shiden_Kai being of bellicose mind posted:

Ian ... you did not read Tegger's accurately. He said... he thought hypoid oil was only used in Rear Wheel Drive because they used hypoid final drive gears. This implies that FWD does NOT use hypoid oil because FWD does not use hypoid ring/pinion gears.

Somebody look up Dodge Intrepid. They are FWD and I -believe- in years past their automatics have used (or use) hypoid gear oil in their final drive.

Reply to
Philip®

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Scott in Florida spake unto the

Florida 4 months if the year with 110 degrees desert heat? How about days of 120+ degrees?

Reply to
Philip®

Well my differential and my transmission guy disagree with you...so you are WRONG!!!

Scott in Florida

Reply to
Scott in Florida

"Philip®" spake unto the masses in news:iv6dc.984$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

It appears the Dodge Intrepid was available with the 42LE transaxle. The specified lube for the diff for that transmission is indeed hypoid.

Excerpt: "Differential (42LE Transaxle) Manufacturer recommends Mopar(R) Fuel Saving 75W-90 hypoid gear lubricant. DO NOT use synthetic gear lubricants."

-----------------

My defective memory recalled reading that hypoid gearing was introduced in cars in an attempt at lowering the driveshaft as car bodies and floors became lower and lower.

However, Packard, for one, used first hypoid gears in 1927.

Also however, a Google search reveals that hypoid gearing is used in many different non-automotive applications. Circular saws and industrial powertrains, for instance.

Hypoid gearing appears to:

1) Be quieter 2) Allow for greater torque application with increased durability.

Ya learn something new every day...

Reply to
Tegger®

In news:Xns94C54EBBA3378teggeratistop@207.14.113.17, Tegger® being of bellicose mind posted:

There is a distinct difference between hypoid and helical cut gears. The difference is hypoid gears impart a sliding contact surface ... that is to say the moment of contact starts at one end the meshing teeth and moves across the loaded surfaces as the gears turn. This requires a lubricant with a lot of sulfur to prevent galling. Helical cut gears experience little or none of this moving contact patch phenomenon. Neither do bevel gears, which are the noisiest.

Reply to
Philip®

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Scott in Florida being of

Listen ... one of the new specs for T-V, Mercon V, and the latest Mopar formulation is to provide improved helical gear protection. Since the debutes of Dexron II and III many more FWD transmissions started lubricating the final drive gears with ATF and have NO separation of lubricant supply.

That your favorite trans guy buffaloed you on this one is not surprising. I've had three A131L apart now and in spite of an oil seal on the intermediate shaft, I would not trust this seal against oil migration as the tranmssion aged.

Reply to
Philip®

It's not the heat, it's the humidity ;-)

Reply to
Mark Pippin

I know. Humidity makes it "hot" for the breathing human .... not for the engine. ;-)

Reply to
Philip®

LOL ain;t that the truth!

A bit of heat and a hell of a lot of humidity...

Scott in Florida

Reply to
Scott in Florida

I know you feel you are right and will do anything to try to make your point...I still stand with my transmission guy.

You have my permission to come down and duke it out with him....LOL

btw he would kick your ass back to the land of fruits and nuts in about a microsecond....LOL

Scott in Florida

Reply to
Scott in Florida

You mean "supposed to be filled with ATF". I know the PO of my deceased Toyota replaced the drive shafts, and I suspect some final drive ATF leaked out and was never replaced.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Alverson

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Scott in Florida being of

(Tammy Wynette) Stand by your (transmission) man, give him two arms to cling to And something warm to come to When nights are cold and lonely Stand by your man, and show the world you love him Keep giving all the love you can

Reply to
Philip®

Since about 1920...

SOME front-drive cars DO have hypoid gears in the differential (and need to). Chrysler LH series cars do because of the longitudinal engine layout. Running ATF in those will destroy them in no time, and in fact that's the ONLY reason they have a separate sump for the differential.

Reply to
Steve