Blown Speaker 99XJ

This is a strange one, I get a rattle when music is playing (not loud) all of the sudden on the drivers side door, it almost sounds like a rattle in the dash, but when I move the fader over to the passenger side, the rattle goes away. So I thought I would see if it was the tweeter that was making the noise or the larger speaker down lower in the door (Factory Infinity Speakers). I went to open the drivers door, and the sound shuts off to the door totally, I have never known that to happen before having the sound shut off like that, it shuts off when the door is maybe open one or two inches. Any ideas?

Kevin in Iowa

99XJ
Reply to
Kevin in Iowa

Busted wire in the harness that goes between the door and the body loosing contact when you open the door. That won't cause the rattle, though, so you might have 2 problems.

-- Old Crow "Yol Bolsun!" '82 FLTC-P "Miss Pearl" '74 XLH chopper(gone but not forgotten) BS#133, SENS, TOMKAT, MAMBM

Reply to
Old Crow

The rattle is most likely caused either by a blown speaker or something else loose that the speaker is rattling - try putting your hand on the dash, or the door panel, etc. to see if the rattle stops. If so, somethings loose. If not, check the speaker - the cone may have ripped. I don't know about your speakers, but a lot of factory speakers use paper cones which tear incredibly easily if you crank it up too loud.

Like Crow said, check the wiring through the door to the speaker, check the wiring attachments to the speaker itself, etc.

By the way, even though this is the Jeep forum and your problem is > >

Reply to
The Merg

Busted wire in the harness that goes between the door and the body loosing contact when you open the door. That won't cause the rattle, though, so you might have 2 problems.

-- Old Crow "Yol Bolsun!"

--------------------------

A wire that is only making partial contact can make a rattling sound in a speaker too, it's like static.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

My vote goes with Kate! Intermittant contact with wire. Is this the factory wiring or has it been "bubbaed"? Mine is 12 years old with

240,000miles and GOD knows how many door openings and no problem with factory wiring!
Reply to
Highcountry

You d> >> >>

Reply to
The Merg

"Blown Speakers" are not uncommon in the Grand Cherokees but occur almost exclusively in vehicles driven by younger people who play "bass heavy" ......ahhhhh.... "music".... at very high volumes that overload the factory speakers.

Reply to
billy ray

00 XJ with the Infinity sound system speaker rattle - Just replaced driver's side door speaker with an inexpensive (5.25" Kicker DS525 $69/pair) after determining that is wasn't the wiring and it wasn't the tweeter. Sounds ok. I now need to replace the passenger side and in the XJ and one in my wife's ZJ same system same problem. Anybody else having problems with these speakers? Is there a good source for quality after market? I think the stealership wanted a buck and half for one.

Steve

00 XJ 98 ZJ 95 YJ
Reply to
Steve Landis

Check out Crutchfield. They're going to be a little more expensive than, say, Circuit City or Best Buy, but their customer service more than makes up for it. Don't use factory replacements, just find a good speaker of the same size and pop it in the hole.

FWIW, my '95 ZJ has the >>> A wire that is only making partial contact can make a rattling sound >>> in a

Reply to
The Merg

I had the same problem with my driver's door speaker. I bought the through-the-door wires and the sound returned. Shortly afterwards, that speaker began to buzz. I bought a set of Rockford-Fosgate door speakers with tweeters and a bass cut-off (Best Buy). The tweeters fit into the triangular trim pieces - opposite the o/s mirrors, the others fit into the stock door locations. That solved the problem . I did not add an amp, although the guy at Best Buy said that these speakers would need one.

Jim '98 XJ

Reply to
98XJ

Reply to