Got a 360 for FREE today. :-)

Had to drive about 1.5 hours to pick it up, but I got it. It is supposed to be a freshly rebuilt motor that some IDIOT left out in the rain, so the valves are rusted tight in the heads, but the intake was removed so that I could see that from the pushrods down it looked good. Actually the rockers looked good too. I also got the 4bbl intake for it. I haven't looked at it closely yet but I'm sure I'll be able to get some goodies out of this. Maybe I could have it bored out so that it's effectively a 401... I need to look at bore/stroke stuff for a 360 vs 401... I wonder if I could use the heads off of my

304 on it. Hmm... The heads are really the only thing messed up on the 360 from being left out in the rain... And since it's supposed to be freshly rebuilt the cam and crank and rods and all that good stuff should be in better shape than my 304. I could have it bored out to a 401 and slap my heads on it and...and..and.... Or...not? Oh well, it's something to play with. I just need to figure out how to get it out of the bed of my truck and onto my workbench or at least into my garage.

-- Travis

trails!!! :wq!

Reply to
travis

Is there a cam in the motor and were the rockers tightened down? If they were and the valves are rusted shut then the rest of the motor is probably rusted also. Not all t e valves were closed at the same time unless the rocker arms were not tightened down.

Yes your 304 heads will work on it. But your 304 heads could be of a smaller port casting and end up being restrictive to the air flow into the motor.

You can't bore a 360 to 401 max is .090 and that makes it a 377. You could stroke it but then you have to look at custom crank and custom rods, bottom of cylinders have to be notched to handle extra stroke. All big buck items.

I'd pull the motor apart in the back of the truck first and see what damage the rain did first. It may not be worth pulling into the garage.

Mr. Bill at a 4 way stop.....the vehicle with the largest wheels has the right of way My Jeep is not an SUV....your SUV is not a Jeep

Reply to
AUTOKAWKR

On 06 Dec 2003 23:49:18 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (AUTOKAWKR) shared the following:

Yes there's a cam and I think the rockers were tightened down. I haven't looked closely at it yet.

Would the cam (assuming it's a stock grind cam) work ok in my 304? I suspect I may have a lifter or two going bad in my 304 and was thinking of swapping in the cam and lifters from the 360. What about the crank? I can't imagine it being bad. I'll pull it to save just because I think it's gotta be good. And the oil pump. And the pushrods and rockers and valve-springs and...whatever looks good since all of the parts are supposed to be new.

-- Travis

trails!!! :wq!

Reply to
travis

Update: Wow, that was one trashed motor. What a waste, someone letting it sit out in the rain like that. I got the lifters out of it and pulled the heads to look deeper. It wasn't pretty. Here's a few pictures: First to get if off of the truck:

it's true the oil had not been drained out of it and the motorgot rolled over while putting it in the truck. *groan* What a mess.http://jeepadventures.dyndns.org/jeep/360/2.jpgJust put my winch to good use to get the engine pulled all the way outto the tailgate. Now this next stunt is one of the kinds of thingsthat if you do enough, you'll get a reputation for being an idiot.http://jeepadventures.dyndns.org/jeep/360/3.jpgCan you guess what my idea was? :-D(I'm already a confirmed idiot so flame away.)
*cough* *cough* OK, so it didn't quite slide down the ramp quite as smoothly as I'd have liked it to, but I got it off of the truck. *ahem*
the valve covers looks good but look at the intake runners. Thevalves are all rusted up.http://jeepadventures.dyndns.org/jeep/360/6.jpgJunk. That's ice in the rightmost cylinder.http://jeepadventures.dyndns.org/jeep/360/7.jpgThe picture says it all.http://jeepadventures.dyndns.org/jeep/360/8.jpgGot some stuff off of the bottom end. Also got the motor mounts, fuelpump, lifters, lots of misc hardware. I couldn't get the crank toturn and got too cold outside to finish messing with it. I'm not sureif I'm going to take the time now to pull the crank and rods andpistons and cam or not. I got parts that are worth more than what Ipaid (nothing) but not worth much more than that. :-) Easy come,easy go. travis

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 19:07:02 -0500, travis shared the following:

-- Travis

trails!!! :wq!

Reply to
travis

Well, it looks like it was worth every penny you paid for it... LOL. I especially like your method of removing it from the truck! ;-)

Reply to
TJim

"travis" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... : Just put my winch to good use to get the engine pulled all the way out : to the tailgate. Now this next stunt is one of the kinds of things : that if you do enough, you'll get a reputation for being an idiot. :

Allow me to add commentary to this photo.... "Hey Zeke, pu down da banjo and gimmie a hand with this here mo'er" "Sure thin Clem, I'll jus lay under this here board and s'port it well da mo'er slides on down"

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 23:31:00 GMT, "Cherokee-LTD" shared the following:

Reply to
travis

lol Sounds like my story, except my free 84 360 engine was used but in good shape. I went through mine to make sure all was in good shape before installing in my 88 GW. You will need an engine puller, HEAVY DUTY engine stand and the engine lifting plate is nice to move it around. I put the 84 360 on a cheaper engine stand rated for 1000 lbs and it started folding up. yikes. You can see part of the Harbor Freight HD stand here:

Is your workbench about the same height as your tailgate or truck bed? Just back that thing up! Deflate tires or jack up vehicle to get them about the same height.

If all looks good after you remove the heads, I would say recondition those

360 heads and put it all back together. good luck with it! BTW I have some spare heads off the 88 360 I removed and maybe a couple off a 79 360 too. ;-)
Reply to
Dave

Reply to
Roy J