Preferred source jfor 4.0L head

My tired old 4.2 is fouling the #3 or #4 (I forget which -- haven't looked in a very long time), and I am thinking the trouble is valve guides/seals/stems, or any combination.

Instead of just replacing the seals, I was goiing to take this opportunity to pull the head and swap in a 4.0. I did the Hesco fuel injection several years ago -- early 2000 -- and installed a Borla header at that time, and this made a huge difference in performance.

Clifford is not very far from my house, I could easily go there and get my engine parts, but the checkbook is not bottomless so I need to get this done on a shoestring. Clifford makes good stuff, but I assume they are probably pricey. I am not considering a complete rebuild, only a head swap.

You guys that have made this change, how much did it cost and where did you acquire your parts? Another thought -- does my Borla header for the 4.2 fit the 4.0? The intake should be okay, shouldn't it?

PS Due to work issues, my Jeep has not been out of the barn for a couple of years. There is light at the end of the tunnel though, and I may be driving my Jeep again to work across town. Since the Jeep has not been out, I have to begin anew my observation of the plug problems, and other stuff that needs attention ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Jeff, I'm thinking that you'll have to re-do the Borla header with a head change - was that in your figures?

I would like to see some experiences from past conversions as well but with a couple of specifics. My main concern would be the plug used for the off-pattern coolant holes - what was used and how did it stand up? I'm a great fan of JB Weld but using it to plug a water jacket hole on the head leaves me a tad skeptical.

Reply to
Will Honea

Nope, Colorado Springs. Wife has family is San Diego so I get out there every so often

No issues with the flow but those gallies that vent to the ground would bother me. I think I would be looking at something I was more comfortable with than JB Weld. I've never seen the actual hole in question, but if the sides are long enough I'd be inclined to pour lead or bronze in there. I've also seen people use aluminum but I'm not sure how they got adhesion.

No question of the advantages. The 4.0 (HO/post-Renix) intake manifold is also a huge step up - mush better flow pattern at the port than the early

4.0.

Sounds like you could make out like a bandit on that header as well - sometimes you win one.

Reply to
Will Honea