Problem! Rain soaked my instrument panel...

Hello all, I hope there is someone in here who can help me out with this problem. I left my window down in my '99 Jeep TJ after lunch and it poured down rain this afternoon. When I got off of work, I sat in the wet seat and cranked it up.

I noticed that the check engine light stayed on, along with the airbag light. When I went to pull out of the parking lot, it stalled, then as I was going down the road it was "jumpy". A few miles later and the horn came on all of the sudden.

There's obviously some kind of electrical problem/shortage somewhere but I don't know that much about cars. Is ther a chance that when everything dries out it will be okay? Or does it sound like I fried an important electrical component?

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Clockspring in the steering wheel. Had the exact same thing happen in my '99 TJ after it got rainsoaked... horn and all. Dealer replaced mine under warranty.

Tirya

Reply to
Tirya

After the interior completely dried out, the problems went away! I didn't have to replace the clockspring afterall! It's a good thing too because it would have cost $250 from the dealership!

I am a happy Jeeper again!

Reply to
Doug

Told ya... ;)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Reply to
Michael Simon

I assume that includes an extortionate rate for fitting it ? The entire cruise control system is less than $250, which I fitted it in around an hour and a half (it was a LHD kit on a RHD car, I'm sure better amateur wrenches than I could do it quicker); the clockspring itself I would have thought you could do in 30-45 mins.

Dave Milne

Yes, You did... now where have I seen you before? ;)

Reply to
Doug

Likely over in the Jeepforum.com or Jeepsunlimited.com forums, whichever forum you asked the question in. :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford