SIDE WINDOWS FLAPPING

Hello all. I have a 2006 Wrangler X with the soft top. Does anyone know of any way to prevent or possibly lessen the side window flapping that occurs while driving at highway speeds? The funny thing is that I only seem to hear the passenger side window flapping....not the driver's side.

THANKS

Reply to
Tracie

I was in a touchless car wash last summer that malfunctioned, came down on my soft top and bent the frame enough to let the driver's side window go slightly loose. It was a simple matter of bending the frame member back up enough to get the window taut again. Pull the window out and unhook the rear corners from the tub before you try.

Also, if you put the climate control fan on "high," and the climate control in "a/c" or "vent" (not recirculate) it wil "inflate" the soft top slightly and cut down on flapping.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I think it's the angle of the top half of the door that controls the flapping. It does on my CJ7's stock doors. I had one that flapped until I bent the frame top inward slightly at the halfway point so the latch even grabs a bit tighter. That fixed it.

Mine are one piece doors, are yours?

If not, then I have seen the hole bushings damaged so the one side wasn't tight, but that was on half doors. He fixed it the same though.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

Real Jeeps didn't come with no stinkin' tops. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Sorry. I forgot to mention that I do have the full hard doors....not the half doors. It seems to be the rear side window on the passenger side that flaps the most. The bar that you're talking about bending....is that the one that makes the roof of the soft top angled so that the roof slants downward towards the front and in the back?

Reply to
Tracie

No, apples and oranges.

I was talking about the soft doors flapping.

I always run with the fan on because it is a soft top and I don't like exhaust smell. This inflates my soft top nicely so it doesn't flap.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

Take the top off! ;)

Reply to
testert555

There are two bars on each side that pivot on the roll bar bracket. The one that needs to be tweaked is the one that goes across the rear windows at about a 45 degree angle. Just gently bend that bar (might need a helper, and it won't need much) and it should tighten up the top.

If it's still under warranty, take it to your dealer, that's probably what they will do.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo