transmission grinding when shifing

I took my 99 TJ in to have the Gears swapped to 4.56 ratio. Now the Jeep grinds when shifting.

I replaced the entire hydrolic system. (I stripped out the plastic threads on the bleeder screw :)

My plan now is to replace the tranny fluid with a lightwieght synthetic.

I pulled the tranny plug and nothing came out. I stuck my finger in and there was only grease. I checked the fill plug and there is only sliver grease. Is this right? Shouldn't there be fluid? I live in Salt Lake City. Could it be the cold? My Jeep is in my garage. So it's only moderatly cold. I'll be they did leave it outside under 32 degrees for about a week. Could that have triggered this?

My jeep has been grinding into fith gear for a little while. But now it is hobble. I won't even use overdrive?

What should I do? Heat up the tranny somehow? Have the tranny flushed? Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

Reply to
Derek Hanks

Completely unrelated, unless you had auto lockers installed at the same time, in which case it would probably be due to having to adjust your driving and shifting style to accomodate the behaviour of the lockers.

Yep. Should be full of fluid, up to the fill plug. When was the last time you checked your fluid? You're lucky your jeep can still move under it's own power. flush and fill your tranny, or if you don't want to do it yourself, have it *towed* (t-case in neutral, tranny in gear..you don't want your tranny turning like that) to a shop.

If it's realy cold, some Jeep 5-speeds have been known to grind a little going into second....but I'm talking 20-40 below....not 32. No way will your tranny fluid turn solid at 32 degrees.

You may be looking for a tranny rebuild soon, if it's really full of silver sludge, but it has absolutely nothing to do with your axle regearing.

Cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul Keating

Have you noticed that you have more play in the clutch pedal? You mentioned hydraulics so I can assume you have been playing with the clutch.....if so try bleeding the circuit agaon as you might have some air in the lines.

It is also possible that you need a new clutch esp. if you were hav>I took my 99 TJ in to have the Gears swapped to 4.56 ratio. Now the Jeep

Reply to
Jeepster

Well, you are in trouble from the sounds of it.

Silver grease is what is left over after all the fluid has drained/leaked and the gears/bearings/bushings are all chewed up.

I had that left in my dana 44 after a shop used an impact gun to put my yoke on. Silver sludge and no more bearings.....

Have you been off road? Any water crossings?

If so, water can easily fill up the transmission forcing all the gear oil out. (gear oil floats on the water) Then the water can boil away leaving silver sludge and a burned up tranny.

Jeep, for some really strange reason didn't put a high water vent on the transmissions like on the t-case or the diffs so the tranny's can and will fill with water.

Mike

Derek Hanks wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain