"breaking in" a Sedona LX engine/OD question

Ihave a newbie (perhaps really dumb) car question...

I have heard the arguements in support of (as well as those claiming it is unnecessary) breaking in a new car's engine. The basics I have heard is to keep it under 50 mph for about the first 700 miles of use.

  1. with the overdrive button on the Sedona...are you suppose to not depress it during this period or is the reverse true?

  1. When is OD utilized? Just freeway or always?

THANKS.

Reply to
bamina

Hi -

I hope you like your Sedona as much as my family and I like ours.

Just follow the instruction in your owner's manual for the break-in - the main point is not to drive for extended periods of time at one speed. Don't worry about keeping it under 50 mph - it won't affect the break-in, and of course would be dangerous on most freeways.

I should also mention that my mechanic, who I respect a great deal, suggested the first oil change should be a 1000 or so miles. I got my first at 4500 miles. Kia says 7500 miles.

The OD switch turns the overdrive OFF - in others words, it keeps the car from shifting into 5th gear. The only time you would want to turn the overdrive off would be if you were hauling a heavy load and driving highway speeds in hilly or mountainous territory. If you do cut off the overdrive, you'll pay a large price in reduced gas mailage. My old Voyager has a similar OD switch, and I never used it in more than

80,000 miles, even with the car fully loaded and driving in the mountains here in the Central East Coast.

Enjoy!

Dan

Reply to
phinegan

Take a look in your owners manual for the recommendations made by Kia. Generally speaking, you don't need to do that much during the break-in anymore. The one thing that almost every mechanic recommends is changing the oil *very* early (i.e. 1000 or 1500 miles) the first time. This is because all of the new components in your engine are breaking in (go figure) so there will most likely be some metal deposits in your oil.

Also, if you want to switch to synthetic oil, it's best to wait until the break-in period is completely over.

Doesn't really matter.

Overdrive is utilized anytime the car thinks its necessary to shift up into the highest gear. To get the longest life out of your transmission, just turn overdrive off when you notice the car shifting down a lot (i.e. when driving on mountain roads, etc.) If the car stays in the right gear with OD on, then don't worry about it. Just listen to the engine and it will pretty much tell you what to do.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Pitz