Becoming a veggie

Is it really as simple as chucking cooking oil into your tank on a 96 Discovery 300tdi. If it is why doesn't everyone do it.

Should you run 50/50 mix? Can you go completely veggie? Does it still start in the winter? Whats the down sides? What needs to be done? What can go wrong? Can you switch back to Diesel?

I am planning a trip down to Portugal in the summer, what the views of our european cousins regarding this, do their 'boys-in-blue" jump on you for it?

Thanks

Reply to
Tony L

Hi Tony

Reply to
bromide

In message , bromide writes

I think it's more to do with HMRC. The boys in blue are pussy cats compared to these bastards.

In theory anything you put in the tank should carry fuel duty, but the sort of level you're talking about isn't going to attract too much attention - probably.

Same situation with LPG - autogas carries fuel duty. Same stuff bought over the counter in a bottle does not as standard therefore you are supposed to declare it if you are going to pump it into your V8's gas tank.

Reply to
hugh

You can use up to 2,500l/year without having to pay any extra fuel duty.

The HMRC link on that page is now a 404 and the fing useless search engine on the HMRC site doesn't find it, niether does a site: restricted google. The "national archive" only goes up to 2006, the brief we are looking for is from 2007...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Defender 200Tdi

I run 100% veggie, although it is a two tank system. I buy my veggie from Makros at 76p/litre and ran all through this winter on this system. I admit its a bit sluggish straight after changeover (when it very cold!), but I can't heat all the veggie in the lines! When that's though it's fine. I have a Bosch injector pump.

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Interesting. There's no similar concession on LPG to the best of my knowledge.

Reply to
hugh

Well it probably all stems from the fact that veg oil is bio, where as most LPG is dino.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice