recycled cooking oil as fuel

I was talking to a guy today who runs his van on oil from these guys

'm going to look into is as a possible fuel for my 1984 110 (2.5 n/adiesel). Is anyone here running an older landy on this kind of stuff? or anyone know anything about it?

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Have heard you smell like a Chippy going down the road :-))

Reply to
Hirsty's

And, apparently, you *still* have to pay duty on the fuel ... although how C&E work out how much you've used I have no idea! "Yes, honestly officer. You see that one-litre milk container over there? Well that was how much chippy oil I used to do 12,000 miles last year". "But sir, that container has got milk in it, it says so on the label. And we saw you make tea with it". "No no nooooo, not *that* container, one very like it...." ;)

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Yes but is it legal? If so I'm straight down the local - Cod, Chips and some 'go juice' please..... There's a local chap (Isle of Wight) and he claims not to have put a penny in his Discovery's fuel tank in the last two years, Mr Chip shop owner is more than happy to give him the shops old oil, I think he normally has to pay to get it disposed of.

Lee

Reply to
LEE ARGYLE

Mark Hi,

I am running both my Discovery 200Tdi vehicles with a mixture of 10% filtered olive oil we use for cooking french fries, aubergines and fish and

90% automotive diesel for more than a year and a half now.

When used at up to this ratio apart from the obvious economy in monetary terms I also notice that the engine is running in a much smoother way (less noisy also and noticeably better accelerarion)

Economy is also noticed on the miles per gallon figures and the strange thing is that it is more that it should be when you consider the reduced amount of diesel fuel and accomodate for the additional olive oil finding its way into the fuel tank. This leads me to be believe that the lubricating capabilities of the olive oil further decrease friction in the engine thus resulting in further fuel economy.

I also notice some decrease in black smoke when accelerating (the 1993 model year Disco is tweaked to 1.0 bar wastegate opening pressure, has a large full frontal area Allard intercooler installed in 1996, a hybrid turbo from Torque Developments Engineering bought back in 1996 (the were the first ones to introduce a hybrid turbocharger for the 200Tdi) and a pretty much tweaked fuel pump (I have now forgoten by how much)

Hope this helps.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

"Mr.Nice." a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

My dad used vegetable oil in his farm tractor . Was a International Harvester, 6 cyl. engine transformed by Elbett, see

working very well at low cost as the farm was producing tons ofsunflower. Use of vegetable oil on roads is legal in France, but unfortunatly you get so many administrative problems and have to pay so much taxes, it is not a good deal...

Regards, Jean

Reply to
Saint Clair

On or around Wed, 13 Oct 2004 22:12:16 +0200, "Saint Clair" enlightened us thusly:

it is in this country too, but if you use it as road fuel you're supposed to pay duty and tax on it.

not that anyone does, of course :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Actually I think some do. There was an article in a mag about a year ago/ maybe this newsgroup where somebody had an arrangement with the local chippy's and took all their used oil ; filtered it, treated it and used it full time. To the extent that he had contacted Customs and legitimised it all.

Reply to
Hirsty's

If you read the site then it indicates that this is fully legal road fuel they sell complete with duty paid

I'll be trying it as soon as I can get it in the east midlands (must check to see if it'll cause problems with the vectra), driving Tiggurr and smelling chips - got to be good !

You have to look at why you want to use it - to lower cost or for environmental reasons, the former you can do if you get the oil free and use it as such even if you pay the duty

I would actually be willing to pay more for environmentally good road fuels if it came down to it - I know that may sound strange but better than paying into this world order of oil wars

The nice thing bout this setup by th look of it is that it takes power away from the nasty oil companies and back to local people. Thats got to be worth a few pennies of anyones money

Have a look at

- they produce a very good book on bio-diesel, oils and how to run vehicles on them

Rich

101 300tdi Ambi 'Tiggurr' Please Don't Buy Coke - See
Rich Clafton

Twas Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:49:15 +0000 (UTC) when "LEE ARGYLE" put finger to keyboard producing:

This place in plymouth process the stuff and you buy it from them in containers or via a pum straight into your tank, you pay them for it and they send the treasury their cut. I've sent an email and I'm going to look deeper into this.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Twas Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:27:45 +0100 when "Rich Clafton" put finger to keyboard producing:

Thanks for that link, I'll take a look. I like the idea of lower polution and spending more of my money locally, spending less money on fuel is attractive also.

I'll keep you all posted if this comes to anything.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

On or around Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:27:45 +0100, "Rich Clafton" enlightened us thusly:

ooops. I admit it, I didn't read it, I took it as one of the typical "cooking oil" threads. Mea culpa.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

You're forgiven this time :-)

Reply to
Rich Clafton

i think the tax and duty is paid if you buy the biodiesel from one of the outlets in the uk who market it ..

they sell one of the grades which is suitable for diesel engines which costs

73p per litre ,although this is really a bit on expensive side considering and i dont think many people would change to it at that price .

would need to be 50p per litre to encourage use . .

its sold in 45 gallon drums .

be aware though that you cannot store this fuel for long because of bacteria buildup and fungus .

it doesnt store the same as fossil fuels .

much cheaper to try a 50/50 mix of 28second heating oil [kerosene] and white diesel .

28sec heating oil is 23p per litre on average , if you buy say 1000 litres at a time , ie 4 foot long by 2 foot wide by 4 foot high tank = 1100 litres .
Reply to
M0bcg
.

I disagree - chats with my friends have all said they would pay more to use recycled and / or enviromentally friendly fuels. The wrong way to sell these things is through money saving, anyway your quoted price is 10p a litre less than Dino diesel.

45 Gallons for most people is 3-4 fillups at most - say 1 month so I wouldn't expect storage issues in that time.

Rich

Reply to
Rich Clafton

I might be prepared to pay more, if I didn't know that the reason its so expensive is that the chancellor taxes it at 300% or whatever.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

I disagree. The best way to immediately sell the idea is to apporach people via their wallet. The environmental reasoning may be more valid, but is far less sexy than convincing people of a sound financial incentive.

FWIW, I converted my vehicles to LPG solely on environemntal grounds initially. The financial benefit - although there and clear to see, is still a secondary benefit as far as I'm concerned.

Reply to
Mother

Just to stick in my ?0.02.

If it was a couple of pence difference one way or the other then I'd go for the envirosafe option every time - fuel round here can differ by up to 4p per litre within 200 yards - typically from 85-89p per litre for Diesel at the moment.

The fact that Biodiesel appears to cost around 10-12p per litre less than dinodiesel just now just makes the decision that much easier for me.

If the biodiesel was 10-12p per litre more expensive than dinodiesel then I'd have to think seriously about using it, just purely because of the mileage I do - typically 4-5 tanks a month used so anything up to 3000 miles a month.

If it's cost neutral or cheaper then it's a no brainer. If it's significantly more expensive then it becomes more difficult to justify using it at the moment.

I'm waiting for my first lot of Biodiesel to see just how happily my cars will run on it.

I've got a 200 Disco and a Rover 75 with what I *think* is a 2l BMW turbodiesel. I'll report on how well they run on the stuff I'm looking at (Biopower V100 -

If I were running a petrol fuelled car just now I couldn't easily justify an LPG kit - the initial cost is just too high and any reduction in cost benefit from running on LPG would be painful.

Paul

Reply to
Paul S. Brown
[nod and snip]

Well I've a combined 12L* of output. This tended to give me uncomfortable dreams of children developing asthma within a 10 mile radius of Poggle Wood. LPG, apart from being cleaner and cheaper, helps me sleep sound at night :-)

  • 4.6L V8, 3.9L V8 and 3.5L V8 - start them all up and the sound is pure classical music.
Reply to
Mother

I have around 4.5l of diesel output - 2 cars with less engine capacity than Grumble.

I really have to balance these things. At the point where you have a car that you are planning on running for substantial amounts of time then LPG makes sense - from a financial point of view as well as from the PoV of minimising impact on the environment.

The problem I have is that the longest I have ever kept a car so far is just over 3 years. I can't justify a £15-1800 upfront investment for a 3 year payback, especially on cars that typically cost in the £1-3000 range themselves.

This is why I've decided to move over to diesel engined cars for the forseeable future - I can run them on somewhat friendlier fuels without a substantial upfront cost - maybe £50 for a heat exchanger at worst. I also get more efficient running even if I do end up using dinofuels at any point.

I'd love to run V8 cars, but I can't justify the costs for economy/purchase price/maintenance - you can get any one of those at an affordable level - rarely two and almost never all three.

I suspect that ethanol, methane and biodiesel in whatever form are going to be the fuels of the future for internal combustion engines, with biodiesel being apparently the easiest of the three to manufacture, store and handle.

I'm planning on looking at manufacturing my own biodiesel, for own use if nothing else - I wouldn't want to try and manufacture ethanol (the legislation on portable stills isn't fun to deal with) and methane strikes me as something not very safe to use on an amateur basis - what would be a trivial leak with diesel would be a major Fuel Air Explosion with Methane.

Ultimately, I suspect that personal vehicle usage is going to end up being severely curtailed over the next thirty or so years, and I have a horrible feeling that electrically powered public transport just isn't going to be there in time. In my little nightmare scenario we could quite easily end up with a situation never before seen - no problem communicating with people at the other end of the country, but almost impossible to go and see them.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown