Best news this week (for me)

The Series 2 passed its MoT on Wednesday!

It only needed a slight adjustment to one headlight (carried out on the fly) and it sailed through. The examiner even commented on the excellent state of the chassis (just one bulkhead outrigger starting to go) and the overall condition. He wasn't happy with the wheel studs (I have fitted modulars and the nuts don't quite cover the threads) so he spent 10 minutes with the book checking, but couldn't find anything referring to wheel studs apart from "must be present". :-)

Regular readers may remember that I have been having terrible trouble getting the brakes to work satisfactorily after I fitted new brakes (cylinders, pipes, drums, springs and shoes). I cured the problem in the end by refitting the old part-worn brake shoes. Instant stopping power (at least to MoT standard). There's something about the new shoes I got that ain't quite right.

Anyroadup, I have the great pleasure of "taxing" it now (that'll be zero pounds, Sir), and then we'll be back on the road for another year and I can give the Disco a bit of a rest.

If you can get to my house sometime this evening, I'll stand you a drink.

Wahey!

Reply to
Richard Brookman

A couple of thoughts. Are the shoes radiused correctly for the drums?

And secondly I've had a few (non-LR) problems with brake shoes that have a very soft lining material on them. Until it has been heated and hardened in service it is almost rubber like and leaves the brake pedal feeling much as if there is air in the system.

Reply to
EMB

|| Richard Brookman wrote: || ||| Regular readers may remember that I have been having terrible ||| trouble getting the brakes to work satisfactorily after I fitted ||| new brakes (cylinders, pipes, drums, springs and shoes). I cured ||| the problem in the end by refitting the old part-worn brake shoes. ||| Instant stopping power (at least to MoT standard). There's ||| something about the new shoes I got that ain't quite right. || || A couple of thoughts. Are the shoes radiused correctly for the || drums?

The shoe radius looks right, but I reckon the tabs on the top of the shoes (where it fits into the slave cylinder) are about 1mm longer than on the originals. This ties in with the wear pattern on the lining after a 10 mile run round the lanes trying to get some brakes - about 15mm at the top of each shoe was making contact, the rest was untouched.

I've put the old linings back on (plenty of wear yet) just to get the thing back on the road. I'm going to have a careful look at the "new" shoes sometime soon and see if taking a small amount off the ends will improve matters.

|| And secondly I've had a few (non-LR) problems with brake shoes that || have a very soft lining material on them. Until it has been heated || and hardened in service it is almost rubber like and leaves the || brake pedal feeling much as if there is air in the system.

No, these were fine.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I just had that pleasure this afternoon for the first time 8-), the woman in the post office looked a bit disappointed!.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

In the early '70s when the first Series 3s were new and on the very first brake relines I noticed that the original linings on the shoes were stamped on the edge 'MTX 22 FF' which were obviously the factory fitment from new. they were drilled not bonded and in those days four drilled linings supplied with rivets to suit cost £17.50. Mintex also supplied boxed axle sets of four bonded shoes for £6.00. The bonded linings were not actually fitted by Mintex themselves but 'farmed out' and were absolute crap, twisted shoes, bent adjuster pins and obviously not the same quality of lining material. In those days you had to return a set of old shoes for relining or pay a surcharge of £4.00, and in return got old shoes that someone must have forced off with a tyre lever etc. You can't beat relining your own shoes with decent material and replacing them in the same drum in the same position, perfect brakes instantly with maximum pedal. Today it's the same sort of crap job but cheaply made new shoes and they don't want the old ones back, by the time they are bedded in they are worn out again. I wish I could still buy these linings and rivets. Progress I suppose.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

On or around Fri, 20 Oct 2006 21:31:06 +0100, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

bugger, it's tomorrow already...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Trala!!!

AAU8471 Brake Lining Kit - Axle Set - Riveted Type Linings for Replacement of Bonded Originals - 109 Front (Except 6-Cylinder & Stage I V8) £5.05 inc VAT AAU9942 Brake Lining Kit - Axle Set - Riveted Type Linings for Replacement of Bonded Originals - Axle Set - 88in Front to 1980/88in Rear £4.46 inc VAT STC2795 Brake Lining Kit - Axle Set - Riveted Type Linings - Axle Set - 109 Rear £4.96 inc VAT STC2795G Brake Lining Kit - Axle Set - Riveted Type Linings - Axle Set - 109 Rear £47.00 inc VAT The ones specifically for replacing original riveted linings have been NLA for years though.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

||| If you can get to my house sometime this evening, I'll stand you a ||| drink. || || bugger, it's tomorrow already...

Plan worked, then. :-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

|| "Richard Brookman" wrote || in message || ||| Anyroadup, I have the great pleasure of "taxing" it now (that'll be ||| zero pounds, Sir) || || I just had that pleasure this afternoon for the first time 8-), the || woman in the post office looked a bit disappointed!. || || Greg

Well, I have just done the deed online, and it took about 5 minutes, including the time to dash outside and check the mileage. I have to say that is a brilliant service, compared with 4 hours panic while I searched for the documents, an hour off work to find a Post Office, and an hour to queue with the 14-year-olds with prams, for my disc, all for the pleasure of hearing "there will be no charge, Sir" at the end of it.

One BIG drawback, though. I now have a new "electronic" MoT certificate, but under Model, it says "Jeep". I searched for several minutes with the tester, but there was nowhere on the system to enter "Land Rover 88 inch", never mind SWB or "Series 2".

Reply to
Richard Brookman

|| Well, I have just done the deed online, and it took about 5 minutes

Quick Q for those that know -

The vehicle is fully legal and "taxed", but I have to wait 5 days for the new tax disc. Am I legal to drive it like this? I will take the obvious precaution of carrying printouts of the web page and email confirming I have successfully taxed it, in case anyone wants to see.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Sat, 21 Oct 2006 10:23:06 +0100, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

speaking of plans... any chance you could come via here bringing those side steps on the way to the unofficial? I can arrange a contribution to the fuel and a cuppa.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

|| On or around Sat, 21 Oct 2006 10:23:06 +0100, "Richard Brookman" || enlightened us thusly: || ||| Austin Shackles wrote: ||| |||||| If you can get to my house sometime this evening, I'll stand you |||||| a drink. ||||| ||||| bugger, it's tomorrow already... ||| ||| Plan worked, then. :-) || || speaking of plans... any chance you could come via here bringing || those side steps on the way to the unofficial? I can arrange a || contribution to the fuel and a cuppa. || || -- || Austin Shackles.

my opinions are just that || "Where they make a desert they call it peace" Tacitus (c.55 - c.117) || Agricola, 30

I'm working down in Sussex the day before, so plans for the Friday aren't worked out yet - I could well be setting off late after a day's work and a

250 mile drive home on the Thursday (not as capable of these stunts as I used to be). If not, I will bring them up to you one weekend. Now the S2a is road legal again, I'd quite like to give it a decent run out. Could you email me your postcode?
Reply to
Richard Brookman

Just got my tax thingy through, I'll be supporting our local rural post office, dispite the fact that doing it online would be quicker and more convient. Was suprised to see no requirement to show an insurance certificate, only the MOT (which is an electronic one).

I'd worry about that a "Land Rover" is not a "Jeep", could be awkward if a wooden top needs to look at your documentation for some reason. See's a Land Rover, papers say Jeep. Hello, hello, hello, whats going on here then...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

|| On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 12:38:24 +0100, Richard Brookman wrote: || ||| Well, I have just done the deed online, and it took about 5 minutes, || || Just got my tax thingy through, I'll be supporting our local rural || post office, dispite the fact that doing it online would be quicker || and more convient.

I would have done this myself, but our rural Post Office disappeared about five years ago.

|| Was suprised to see no requirement to show an || insurance certificate, only the MOT (which is an electronic one).

They can now check you are insured electronically too. And if you're in receipt of a War Pension and a lot else.

||| One BIG drawback, though. I now have a new "electronic" MoT ||| certificate, but under Model, it says "Jeep". || || I'd worry about that a "Land Rover" is not a "Jeep", could be || awkward if a wooden top needs to look at your documentation for some || reason. See's a Land Rover, papers say Jeep. Hello, hello, hello, || whats going on here then...

Unlikely, as it says Make: Land Rover, Model: Jeep. I think even the woodenest top could work that one out!

Actually, it says JEEP, so it's not _necessarily_ Jeep with a capital J, as in the manufacturer. It could just be "jeep" as in the US slang for General Purpose, which it is. Sort of.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

And be at the mercy of the postal service... This is exactly why I won't use the on-line system, what if I get pulled in that 5 days or up to as many days as it takes to get a replacement sent if it's lost in the post along with the millions of other items.

On that note, yesterday I received a knock on the door from the post office, all apologetic that a parcel had been torn open and had to be taped, up and could I check the contents while he waited, well the item was complete but there were also two items from someone else's damaged parcel included!, gives you lots of confidence doesn't it 8-).

Greg

Reply to
Greg

|| On that note, yesterday I received a knock on the door from the post || office, all apologetic that a parcel had been torn open and had to || be taped, up and could I check the contents while he waited, well || the item was complete but there were also two items from someone || else's damaged parcel included!, gives you lots of confidence || doesn't it 8-).

Well, yes. Given that accidents and damage will happen occasionally, I reckon that what happened to you seems a pretty good way of resolving it. Better that than chucking them at you without an apology, or even conveniently "losing" them, which is what I suspect a lot of commercial carriers do.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Agreed, but it would be far better if the several million items a year didn't go astray in the first place 8-) Greg

Reply to
Greg

|| "Richard Brookman" wrote || in message || ||| Well, yes. Given that accidents and damage will happen ||| occasionally, I reckon that what happened to you seems a pretty ||| good way of resolving it. Better that than chucking them at you ||| without an apology, or even conveniently "losing" them, which is ||| what I suspect a lot of commercial carriers do. || || Agreed, but it would be far better if the several million items a || year didn't go astray in the first place 8-) || Greg

I'm a realist. Given the size of the PO operation, some items missing or damaged are inevitable. Whether "some" includes numbers up to several millions is another matter, of course :-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Some yes, but it currently stands at 14.6 million items a year lost and a lot more late, here's the story:

So I'd much rather get my disc directly than mess about with the on-line service.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

On or around Sat, 21 Oct 2006 23:21:01 +0100, "Greg" enlightened us thusly:

I think you can get away with it if you're awaiting the disc. dibbles checking can find out now if it's taxed, and once you fork over the electronic readies, it's taxed.

's a bit like the thing where if you've ALREADY applied by post, you have 14 days grace. If you sent the application by post on the 29th, you're allowed

14 days to get the new disc. Presuming that you tax online back to the beginning of the current month, I assume that they can only do you for "failure to display", but I doubt they'd take that to court in a situation where you could prove you'd paid for it.
Reply to
Austin Shackles