couple of daft questions

Just bought a 1960 swb which comes with a hand throttle and a overdrive unit. Could some one tell me how these are best used? If that makes sense, ie, when driving, when do I engage the overdrive unit? and when would I use a hand throttle.

Thanks in advance, Phil

Reply to
<phil.overbury

It's for lowering the engine revs when cruising under lower load, so engage it on the open road above ~40 when lightly laden.

It's for use with the pto, the space for which is now occupied by the overdrive. Use it for upping the idle when jump starting. Is this diesel or petrol? The petrol ones should have a separate governor.

AJH

Reply to
sylva

Never, ever, use the hand throttle when driving - it is intended for use when driving equipment off the PTO's to keep the engine at the required revs.

You can use the overdrive as and when you see fit (though Fairey, the makers, don't recomment its use on 1st and 2nd gears). Basically, if the engine is screaming its nuts off but won't quite pull the next gear then engage the overdrive, equally when going down a hill this can sometimes be a bit easier with the overdrive engaged. Don't panic though, the overdrive is quite possibly the toughest part of your drive train! Having oil in it (EP90) is often considered a bonus though.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Also fitted to military FFR vehicles ("Fitted For Radio"). We once had an SII FFR on the farm. Main feature was 24volt electrics, with a big control box (cast metal) in the back, a lot of screened leads, and a pretty big generator. And the pair of 12volt batteries, under a cover, replacing the centre front seat.

Otherwise, yes, something you'd expect with a PTO.

Reply to
David G. Bell

I also use mine when i have heavy loads or encounter a big hill. Gives you some nice extra inbetween gears (like 3rd overdrive - or 2nd overdrive when you have a lot of stuff in the back!)

Also handy for when it won't tick over properly and the choke just doesnt hack it!

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Fri, 15 Jul 2005 16:10:41 +0100, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

ISTR 2nd OD is deprecated, 'cos it puts too much load on the OD unit. but

3rd OD is approx halfway from 3rd to 4th, and 4th OD is obviously for cruising.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

My overdrive hasnt broken yet! ;) I think they are fairly strong

Its not that often i move loads that heavy though.

Reply to
Tom Woods

i disagree here, while it is silly to use the hand-throttle for road-driving (i.e. as a makeshift cruise control. this can be dangerous as it will go a lot faster down a hill than up, and also you WILL forget about the hand-throttle and put the clutch in and wonder why the motor is revving its nuts off). but for low speed four-wheel driving, a hand throttle can be excellent. i used it all the time on the old landcruiser (my landy dont have one) and it was a great help. basically just jumps the idle up to whatever you would like so you can concentrate on steering vehicle position rather than trying to keep your foot in the same position relative to the pedal while being battered around your cabin on rough terrain.

but i think hand throttle should only be used in (just at an educated guess)

1st high-range and 1st and 2nd low-range.

Hope this is of some help.

Sam.

Reply to
Samuel

"Samuel" wrote in news:42d9de13$0$32653$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au:

That reminds me of my old Morgan three wheeler days (Ford engine, unfortunately).

The single drive wheel was inclined to slip, so bung her into gear, set the hand throttle, hop out and push. Then run like hell to catch up and jump in (hopefully) before she disappeared over the horizon!

The only car I have ever owned that I could hand signal a left turn with the left arm. Oh, and touch the ground from the driver's seat without stretching. Took the girl friend out with one of those bee-hive hair do's. Had to take the canvas down to get her in. The leaking gear box left two beautiful buttock prints on her white coat too.

Derry.

Reply to
Derry Argue

Sounds like a ripper derry, but why on earth did that little thing have a hand throttle? how long did that girlfriend last?

Sam.

Reply to
Samuel

"Samuel" wrote in news:42db4f9d$0$16990$ snipped-for-privacy@news.optusnet.com.au:

You got me there. Maybe just for when it got stuck! But it definitely did come in handy, same as there is a hand throttle on a tractor.

Not long. After seeing the oil stains on her coat, I didn't have the nerve to ask her out again!

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Lots of answers already, but my tuppenceworth:

Don't use the hand throttle unless you are using the PTO

Use the overdrive as a fifth gear to begin with. With heavy loads it makes a good 3.5th gear on hills, but you'll knacker it if you use it in 1st and

2nd too much.

DON'T REVERSE IN OVERDRIVE - this can (although I have forgotten and done it many times without this happening) unscrew the cog.

Worth getting hold of the gear and end-plate and chucking them behind the seat so that you can get home if you do bugger the OD box.

I'd buy some free-wheeling hubs too, but that's personal prioritising.

Cheers,

Lord Manley

Reply to
Manley