Front Axle Oil Query Ser III

Series Landrovers are designed to have free flow of oil between the swivel and hub. The wheel bearings were not packed with grease until during S2 production, but before that were filled with oil. Consequently, the oil leak you have will not be due to the oil coming from the swivel - the hub seal is designed to be oil proof. The leak will be because the seal is faulty, the surface it is running on is grooved (this ring is replaceable on your model assuming it has the original stub axles) or because the axle breather is blocked. Also, if the wheel bearings are excessively loose the seal will not work. JD

Reply to
JD

Question relating to the front axle on a 1973 109" I replaced the axle seal and new gaskets with gasket maker on all joints between axle and swivel housing and hub etc. I noticed recently that my breaks on this side stopped working and found an oil slick running from the break drum. I removed the break drum and found grease mixed with gear oil running out of the rear hub seal on the stub axle. The way I see it this means that the oil from inside the swivel housing is splashing and running between the swivel axle shaft and stub shaft (small gap between the two but no sealing mechanism between the two), mixes with the grease in the taped bearings and escaping out the oil seal. I did note a small mark on the stub axle journal where the seal runs that could have resulted in the leak, but is the oil from the swivel housing supposed to get into the hub like this or could the diff oil be passing the axle seal, overflowing the swivel housing and entering the hub in this way. Any advise would be appreciated and if you could mail to jamesw at pescanova dot co dot za . Cheers James

Reply to
jamsan

IT's not unusual for new inner hub seals to leak. The problem is usually down to damage to the seal seat on the stub axle. The seat is replacable on pre-1980 axles, otherwise its potentially a new stub axle. However, the problem is mostly caused by sharpness on the edge of the seat damaging the seal while being fitted. A quick dressing up of the edge of seat with a file to remove any sharp edges will more often than not prevent the damage occuring.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Very important point JD raised. before anything, check that your breathers are not blocked. i replaced all the oil seals on a fully floating axle off a landcruiser, only to find the hub was leaking again within 2 days. had a look at the breather and it was caked with mud etc. gave it a clean and guess what, no more leak.

Samuel

Reply to
Samuel