Great ideas from Land Rover

Land Rover debuted its latest towing innovations at the Boat and Caravan Show at the NEC

Land Rover is showing its latest innovations in towing technology, alongside its current range of vehicles, including the award winning Discovery 4, at The Boat and Caravan Show. The show is at the NEC in Birmingham until February 28. The latest towing innovations from Land Rover make towing a trailer, caravan or horse box safer and simpler. Trailair by Land Rover, which can be fitted to both new and used vehicles, is a unique system that monitors tyre pressures and aids hitching. The technology works through tyre pressure monitoring valves which can be fitted to both the tyres on the vehicle and the trailer. The valve pressures and temperature readings are displayed through a screen which is incorporated into a, newly-fitted, rear view mirror. The smart technology then triggers an alarm should the valves detect any decrease in pressure or increase in temperature. According to a detailed study made by United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) in 2008, a 0.6 bar tyre under-inflation can increase fuel consumption and CO2 emissions by up to 6% and reduce tyre life by

40%. In addition, tyre under-inflation has significant adverse effects on vehicle stability and braking distance. The system also offers the driver an easier way of hitching by mounting a rear camera to the vehicle. This enables the driver to manoeuvre the vehicle more accurately by offering a view of the hitching equipment and trailer tow ball. Available from August 2010, the Land Rover Trailair system will cost in the region of £650 excluding fitting. Demonstrations are being held on the Land Rover stand at The Boat and Caravan Show. Visitors to the Land Rover stand can also see the 2010 model year range of vehicles including the Range Rover, Freelander 2, Defender and Range Rover Sport and will be able to see a live demonstration of Land Rover's patented 'Tow Assist' technology on the Discovery 4. The Tow Assist function helps perform accurate towing manoeuvres. The wide field of views on the Discovery's side cameras give a clear view of the reversing trailer. The images are electronically manipulated to provide an undistorted view, with guide lines overlaid on the rear camera image to illustrate both the vehicle and trailer?s trajectory. Specific characteristics such as type of trailer, number of axles and width guides can be fed into the system to enhance the system outputs. The Discovery 4 also features another clever towing aid known as 'Trailer Stability Assist'. This technology detects trailer oscillations by monitoring key vehicle behaviours such as uninvited steering movements and slight vehicle swing in response to trailer behaviour. In these circumstances, the system can initiate engine torque reduction and braking interventions to bring the towing back under control. For more information on any of the Land Rover range or to locate your nearest Land Rover dealership log onto
For more information on the Land Rover Trailair system visit
or click here for Trailair
Reply to
Ron

A very thinly disguised bit of advertising!

Reply to
Dougal

Tyre pressure sensors, My renault Laguna has this kit as factory fit from 2001.... and its the biggest pile of shit I have had the misfortune to have on any car I have ever owned. I wish I could simply unplug it and bin the flashing crap on the dash. Yes ---- if it worked as it should it would be awesome,,,,, but it doesn't and its just SHIT.

Reversing camera, I Installed one on my 2003 RRIII which also takes in the tow ball in the view... I found the instructions on the Range rover forum. Bought a AV patch lead off ebay for £28 ish and a camera from Hong Kong (I think!) which incidentally had to be NTSC standard... plugged it all in .. wired it up with a relay off the reverse lights and made a bracket all in for around £15 delivered.

Ok ... you got me on the trick mirror.. mine comes up on a 6 inch by 4 inch screen in rhe middle of the dash.

I just felt I had to add this, I haven't a clue how to do it 2005 onwards (MIne is 2003 to 2005 model) but the Dick Turpin price really got my goat for the camera kit.

Best of all when I took it for its last service the service manager even asked me how I had done it as he had never seen a 2003 RRIII with a reversing cam on the OEM screen. FFS!

:0)

Wish I could get to the Caravan and boat show but have other commitments, How the hell they get some of those huge boats there I will never know.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

In message , Ron writes

Makes you wonder how we've ever managed to tow a trailer before.

Reply to
hugh

I can't see my little (approx 6' x 3'6") box trailer at all when it's hitched up unless we are going round a fairly tight corner... A camera to see what it (and the load) is up too might be useful when driving along but I guess the camera(s) are disabled when in forward motion though.

As for hitching isn't that what a banks man is for?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There must be kits available as a friend had one fitted in his V8 Disco so he could keep an eye on his miniature horses in the trailer whilst on the move, and that was some years ago.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Like this one, you mean?

It just needs a 12 volt feed to the camera. They do others with bigger screens and better cameras, too, as well as ones with cameras with built in batteries.

Reply to
John Williamson

In message , Bob Hobden writes

They're readily available in caravan/motorcaravan dealers

Reply to
hugh

hugh wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@raefell.demon.co.uk:

Sure are, I have two on the back of my Disco. One points at the tow hitch and allows me to back up to our caravan, unaided.

The second has a general view of behind the vehicle. Great when reversing.

I also have a connection next to the trailer plug, that hooks up to a camera at the back of the caravan. This way I can see who is behind me and how many :)

A lot of Caravanners and 4WD owners in AU use them.

Ron

Reply to
Ron

If you were really clever you could run a video recorder via an inverter... record the snake of cars and send it in to Clarkson to keep him awake at night

;o)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D