Microsoft update virus

Of the subject a bit, is there any way using Outlook express to get just the subject and not the contents when receiving mail, basically feed up of this Microsoft update virus must be costing me an arm and leg in phone usage time to download this crap.

regards

Wayne

V8 landy

Reply to
wayne

Tools, Options, Read. Uncheck "Automatically download message when viewing in preview pane"

I think?

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

"Andy.Smalley" schreef in bericht news:blmm7r$di4pv$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-206532.news.uni-berlin.de...

That is generally a good idea.

I think you will need to setup OE so that it only downloads the headers when synchronising. Then you can choose which msg-bodies to download, and which not.

Reply to
aghasee

wayne tried to scribble ...

Mailwasher, but don't let it 'bounce' .. ;)

version, though you need to pay for it, is what I use and is highlyrecommended .. The free version only allows one email account, the pro anynumber including hotmail .. ;)

Reply to
Digweed .. ;)

No, doesn't always work with my XP Pro setup. I have to get rid of the preview pane altogether... just click on 'View', select 'Layout' and deselect 'Show preview pane'.

Reply to
Ian Symonds

Try mailwasher (mailwasher.net). You can sif through your mail while it sits on the server and delete, bounce or blacklist the rubbish before downlaoding the rest. I had the same problem, downloaded mailwasher (it's free and very easy to use) and theproblem is solved now.

Cheers,

Richard

wayne wrote:

Reply to
Richard

Richard wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

I have Mailwasher. I have been running it for a few days now. Been away for

48 hours and returned to find 251 Microsoft spam emails on the server. That is an improvement on 360 in 6 hours but I would really like to get rid of the lot!

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Are you sure you're using mailwasher correctly?

If you want to get rid of "the lot" simply add a filter with rule:

[The 'subject' field] + [contains] + [*]

that blacklists, bounces and deletes anything that matches, that rule :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Mother wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Ah. Well. Now you come to mention it. Erm. Ah. I think I'd better think it out again....

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

- are children safe at Land Rover events?=================================================================

I hope I didn't sound too patronising :-)

Mailwasher, though I don't really mention it much - or generally respond, has just hit my Top 5 of handy (free) software to point Windows users toward 'when nothing else will do the job'. There are only 7 progs in my Top 10, so I think it's doing quite well!

I think it takes some time to train it though, or, it takes time to train you (same difference) in the art of 'knowing just _how_ to filter your mail', in a way which reduces the risk of zapping anything you may actually have liked to read. It's a significant tool when 'trained' :-)

Other stuff includes; Free Agent, Pagasus Mail, EditPad & WinTOP

Martyn

Reply to
Mother
[snip]

I don't use mailwasher although I'm impervious to catching Windoze virus but I still receive loads of M$ upgrade junk via e-mail that are even more ineffective on my Operating System.

Even though I've setup *rules* to kill them and defer any e-mail over

100k in size I still find the most reliable method of deleting mail from your server is to use something like webmail at; "
" or mail2web at;"
" to see whats onyour server and delete them all at source. The following is an small example log file showing the amount of spam automatically deleted using simple *rules*. It may prove useful to add these to your system if you haven't already got similar rules setup of course. :)

Rule Hits Last Used

---- ---- ---------

Default 1751 Mon,22 Sep 2003.23:02:25

Delete Content-Type: = *multipart/alternative* 365 Tue,07 Oct 2003.10:13:15 Delete Content-Type: = *text/html* 253 Sun,21 Sep 2003.23:25:25 Delete Subject: = *security* 188 Mon,22 Sep 2003.20:45:39 Delete From: = *microsoft* 140 Tue,23 Sep 2003.09:07:45 Delete From: = *Microsoft* 130 Mon,22 Sep 2003.22:37:00 Delete Subject: = *Microsoft* 63 Wed,01 Oct 2003.08:21:16 Delete Subject: = *microsoft* 55 Mon,22 Sep 2003.20:45:39 Delete From: = *yahoo.com* 45 Thu,11 Sep 2003.21:12:17 Delete From: = *aol.com* 31 Mon,22 Sep 2003.08:18:48 Delete From: = *msn.com* 19 Mon,22 Sep 2003.19:46:21 Delete Subject: = *critical update* 19 Mon,22 Sep 2003.18:53:54 Delete Subject: = *free* 18 Sun,14 Sep 2003.16:02:40

Total Rules 146 Total Accepted 5 Total Deferred 128 Total Deleted 1735 Total Defaulted 1751

The *multipart/alternative* rule was only added last week during the recent deluge but it's caught 365 spams nonetheless, I have also found using upper and lower case makes a difference too when catching them.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

Mother wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Another 34 spams this morning, mostly Microsft lookalikes.

I did have a look at the filters but don't see that they do anything that I am not already doing manually -- and I still get the spam. Until recently, I've been using my own email address. I really didn't find spam that much of a problem. But having a gundog site seems to have made me a target so I've munged that for news groups in the last couple of days. If I'm still doing something wrong, I'd be grateful for advice.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Stephen Hull wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com:(Snip)

Thanks, Steve. I have printed off your posting and it will be most useful.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

You should still see the spam, but you should be killing it before it's downloaded.

If you want to get heavy with the spam, simply add the 'common format' sender to the balcklist. I filter anything with the word 'Microsoft' in it, as do many others. Mailwasher will still show you these in the list, but marked for deletion (little point bouncing them as the from address will seldom be valid).

Once you click to 'process', mailwasher will delete them leaving legit mail available for you to download and read.

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Mother wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That's what I'm doing -- but I do it manually. Strange thing, some legitimate emails don't download. I have one from Yahoo groups saying my a/c is turned off. It is on the server with nothing checked but Eudora will not download it. But I know what it is, so no problem.

Thanks for the help.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

You'll need more than that small example to completely stop Microsoft SPAM because the damn spammers keep altering the headers, I use a program called AntiSpam to filter out all the crap I receive and I'm now up to 265 rules and it's still growing.

I have loads of e-mail accounts but only a couple of these accounts have a different set of rules to catch the genuine HTML multipart/alternative e-mail, The rest gets deleted from the server. It's surprising just how many genuine people send me e-mail in HTML multipart/alternative format and it's these e-mails I want to retain not delete.

I presume Mailwasher has similar filter functions?.

It's fortunate for us that 95% of SPAM is sent as HTML so the rule file filters out all these on the other less important e-mail accounts.

Steve.

Reply to
Stephen Hull