Power takeoff on a P38

I have a 1996 P38 HSE. I want to take off power in the cab for Amateur radio gear but I don't fancy drilling/grommeting the firewall. I have the manuals on CD but they don't seem to cover things like old fashioned wiring diagrams, probably because it would be too complex.

Any obvious point I can get at clean volts? I'd like permanent power but only a couple of amps. I was hoping to use those crimp-in line taps.

nigelH Brighton UK.

Reply to
Nigel Hewitt

The fuse box would be a good place to start, as often as not there will be a spare fuse position that you can use for accessories.

Reply to
SimonJ

Examine the bulkhead for unused plugged holes. Or even cables already grommeted through. Use a wire coat hanger to push through the plug or grommet and feed in red and black wires. Attach directly to the battery, fuse as necessary and away you go. I always mount an additional fuse and relay board to my vehicles and power all accesories from there. The additional board is connected directly to the battery and so not reliant on any of the original vehicle loom.

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

Nigel,

Have a look how I did mine at