Range Rover Classic brake caliper

One on it's own should be fine - I'd strip both and replace the seals, and one or both pistons as required. Easy to do and sould be *much* cheaper than even 1 new caliper. Otherwise replacing one caliper is fine.

Reply to
EMB

I have to replace a rear brake caliper on my classic because one of the pistons will not retract far enough to enable new pads to be fitted. Is it ok to replace just the one, or should I really change an axle pair?

TIA

Martin Coombs

Reply to
Martin Coombs

I can't see any reason that only changing one wouldn't be OK. But, the problem with the defective side is almost certainly to do with the piston itself rather than with the caliper. The pistons and associated seals aren't difficult or expensive to replace.

Nick

Reply to
Nicknelsonleeds

Whereas calipers are WELL pricey! The figure of over a ton each springs to mind. Front brakes were knackered on my 90, and I thought I was in for new calipers, the lot. A new piston kit sorted it. Calipers rarely need replacing, whereas pistons/seals regularly go West.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Thanks for eveyones response.

A rebuild kit seems the way to go.

Thanks again

Martin Coombs

Reply to
Martin Coombs

if you get some emery cloth and rub around end of piston thats sticking out of caliper , then put some copper slip compound wipred around lightly . use G- cramp and push piston in as far as you can get it then push brake pedal and push piston back out, do this a few times until piston goes all way back in .

put a piece of 6mm ali or steel plate between caliper piston and brake disc when you "brake pedal" the piston back out so that the piston doesnt go all way to disc and so that you can remove the plate to enable a small crowbar in the gap to squeeze piston out again .

when i say crow bar i mean a tool to pry the piston back a bit , but not a 3 foot long bar that will bugger it all up .

you will be ok replacing one caliper although emery cloth, wd40 and some movement of piston back and forth will fix it .

rover SD1vitesse rear calipers will fit rangies rear if you place a 1/8 thick spacer under caliper bolt hole to centralise caliper around disc . SD1 calipers have about a 2" piston diameter

Reply to
M0bcg

*DON'T* do this. Copper slip is oil based and will destroy the caliper seal. Use a proper rubber grease (like Girling Red Rubber Grease) that is vegetable based.
Reply to
EMB

On or around Fri, 13 Aug 2004 09:09:49 +1200, EMB enlightened us thusly:

the other point to make here is that on most calipers, the seal is in the cylinder, not the piston, and if the piston surface is damaged, it's more likely to leak. You can, it's true, clean 'em up, but if the hard chrome surface is pitted, expect the seals to fail.

Of course, I'm talking about the part of the piston which actually comes into contact with the seal, here. The seal, obviously, is inside the cylinder, and the bit of piston which is poking out the end can be as rough as you like. Trouble is, you have to push them back nearly flush to fit new pads, and the chances are that if more than the top few mm of the piston is iffy, then the damaged bit will now be working in the seal, and will cause it to fail in due course.

you can get pistons, but they're not that cheap when I asked about 'em. However, you'd be unlucky to have to replace all 8 on a RR/disco front, and I see no objection to replacing just the ones that are damaged.

If they're only covered in crap, and not rusty, clean 'em off with something non-abrasive.

Reply to
Austin Shackles