Range Rover Classic Shocks

Can any one suggest a type of front shock for my Range Rover classic which I can use without using the top bolt on mounts which sit on top of the coil spring mount, the shocks need to be outside the coil springs.

Rich

-- To reply remove " spam "

Reply to
Rich

Why? Air suspension? I'm thinking about some new ones & a new steering damper, no other reason than they look a bit rusty & can't be at their best. I'm hoping for some suggestions myself, mainly for road use.

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"

Reply to
Nige

Not air suspension, the body I am using imposes over the top of the front top spring mount so the original turrets will not fit so the shocks will have to fit outside the coil springs !!

Rich

damper, no other reason than they

myself, mainly for road use.

Reply to
Rich

Raise your body an option?

Reply to
Lee_D

I don't know exactly what company you would use but a good place to start asking is in Comp Safari circles. They often use extension brackets in order to fit an additional shock for racing. This is always outside the turret so I suggest that you could use this "instead of" not "aswell as"! HTH Dave

Reply to
edeowner

On or around Tue, 15 Nov 2005 18:45:10 GMT, "Rich" enlightened us thusly:

fit rear ones, using suitable brackets?

I've been contemplating different axle fittings on the minibus to allow fitting disco shocks. They're only about 8 quid a piece from Paddocks. The minibus ones differ in having eyes at both ends. Tried series ones on it, which also have eyes both ends, but they don't damp enough (or they're simply not good enough)

new rear ones as yet unfitted to the TDi feel nice and stiff, though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Just realised, get some RRC Air susp top damper mountings, they sit at a kind of diagonal to the air bag (as you cant mount a damper through an aitbag etc) They won't cost too much I'm sure.

Have a gander

Nige

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"

Reply to
Nige

Hi Austin, would the rear ones be softer or harder than the fronts ?

What are you doing, is this minibus, as in a transit type on a Rangie chassis tell me more.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Hi Nige, have you any pics of these, what would the bottom bracket be like on the axle case ?

Rich

kind of diagonal to the air bag

Reply to
Rich

Yes that one did cross my mind tonight after I posted the question

Rich

Reply to
Rich

e-mail me direct & I'll take a photo now & send it to you!

Nige

Reply to
Nige

E-mail sent to you

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Not arrived, take out the spamtrap first matey!

Looks a do-able thing too from what i can see. BTW, it was FOCKING cold out there in me jimmy jams!!! Bet the neighbours think i'm nuts!! Actually, they know I am!

Nige

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"

Reply to
Nige

Yes sent I presume the spam trap is the capitals bit if so you should have it, We are all nuts that's what separates us from the weird people of this planet ;-)

Rich

Reply to
Rich

On or around Tue, 15 Nov 2005 22:19:56 GMT, "Rich" enlightened us thusly:

I think they're about the same, to be honest. Not measured 'em, mind.

no, LDV convoy.

The LR/Transit hybrid is dead in the water, so to speak, unless someone wants to pay me to build one. I'm convinced it could be done, but at the moment, there's no money available. It'd be a 110 chassis, though, not a RR, as the RR chassis is too short. I reckon the 110 chassis would fit nicely under a SWB transit body; you should end up with the off-road ability, cheap spares and reliability of the 110 combined with a much more efficient (load-space-wise) body, which is also standard and has easily-found parts.

The only non-standard bit is the bits that join the chassis to the body.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Ah, ok I am in the process of putting a sierra on to a Range Rover, as the chassis is 1972 and I am using all the Range Rover running gear and engine, it will be tax exempt but have the comfort of a conventional car, well as good as a sierra gets but then the body shell was free, at the moment it seems to fit a treat.

Rich

To reply remove " spam "

Reply to
Rich

On or around Wed, 16 Nov 2005 17:29:12 GMT, "Rich" enlightened us thusly:

plus sierra seats are among the best of the bunch, IMHO.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Well my sierra that I use daily has served me very well and has put up with lots of abuse, as the build goes along will do some pics at the moment I have not had to alter the car or the chassis but time will tell.

Rich

To reply remove " spam "

Reply to
Rich