RR classic rear window

I wonder if anyone can help me?

I just bought a 1993 200 TDI and the back window keeps popping open whilst driving along. The bottom gate has 6 or 7 holes in the top of it which makes me think that something should be screwed there? The 2 side catches are making contact but there doesn't appear to be anything substantial in the middle.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
champions

Each side should physically latch... if it's not latching then I suspect either a failed latch or rods requiring adjustment on the link from the catch to the latch.

I have swapped a latch on ours a while ago details here

Also I find the a failed spring in the door lock means that when you close the tailgate the lock bounces opening the tailgate. To check if its this physically hold the lock up then lock it then check it all again.

I suspect a previous owner may have had some sort of bolts screwed on due to the problems you are currently suffering.. Only other holes I've seen drilled in a Rangie Tailgate were to fasten the "WIDE LOAD" signs to for motorway escort vehicles though I doubt that this is the case here.

HTH

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D