TD5 99 - run out of diesel & will not start....!

Help me please..

OK my fault it run out of diesel (lack of dough) - so put 10 litres in tank and turned the engine over till battery went flat...any suggestions VERY MUCH WELCOME...cheers

Reply to
peterd

John Oakes

Hmmm, surprised it doesn't self prime (thought most modern diesels did), but it sounds as though you need to prime the pump.

I'm entirely guessing here, but the procedure on my old Series 2 was to crack off one injector then pump the little handle on the injection pump until you get diesel coming out of the injector.

Tighten up the injector and I'd expect it to start.

TD5 may be totally different though - not sure how they deliver fuel, but I'll bet there's a computer in there somewhere. They have fly-by-wire throttle for a start don't they?

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Check the owners manual but from memory you need to tell the ECU to initiate priming

  1. turn ignition on for three minutes
  2. turn off
  3. hold accelerator pedal full down and turn ignition back on
  4. crank for 30 seconds at time, 1 minute between
  5. release accelerator pedal when it starts

Robert

Reply to
Robert White

You'll need to purge the fuel rail of air, method on my web site:

Martin

Reply to
Martin Lewis

Curiously my book (2001 TD5 Disco II) is slightly different to that and the previously posted method:

1) Refill with at least 1 gallon of fuel. Doh! 2) Turn off for >15s. 3) Turn on to position II wait 30s. 4) Repeat 2 & 3 six times. 5) After final 30s period fully depress the accelerator. 6) Keeping pedal depressed crank the engine. 7) Continue cranking, as soon as the engine is firing smoothly ease the accelerator back to approx 50% and release the starter key. The engine should no be running. 8) If the engine fails to start, repeat the above.

Variations in the ECU programming?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Hmm.. dunno - there do seem to be small differences between the Disco and Defender methods, but I can't find a reference to the 50% release figure in my books! Land Rover, eh? :o)

However I've not used the official LR method when priming my Td5 (now done twice..) - I've used the method I 'found' which is the 'unofficial' one on my site. Works for me ;o)

Martin

Reply to
Martin Lewis

I guess there could be other gubbins as well, or just the way valves/pressure relief dubries that are commanded open by the ECU at switch on then close a number of seconds later. The repeated slow switching on/off would ensure a good few cycles of that to rid the system of air.

My book says "approximately halfway", I called it 50%... However it's not just Land Rover, I don't think any car maker truely knows how

*all* parts of a car they make work in reality.

Curiosly it's the sort of default "how to start a motor that has no faults but refuses to start normally" routine. Do things slowly, push the accelorator fully and crank until it goes, easing up the pedal as the engine sorts itself out, normally in clouds of smoke.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Hi

Thank you all for replying to my question - it started today - cheers Kind Regards

Peter ]]]>>