Other engines for landrover

I'm looking at putting a different engine into a series landrover, i'm looking for Petrol, 6 cylinders in a line. Attempts to source a suitable GM 2.5/2.6/3.0 engine do not seem to be coming to fruition.

I had an idea to fit a Jeep Cherokee 4.0 as this would come with a 4x4 transfer box, thus elimating the need to mate this foriegn engine to the LR box. However, AFAIK the Jeep 4.0 only came in Auto, which I don't want.

Anybody have any other ideas as to what I could fit, around the 150bhp mark, 6 cylinders in line? Or am I doomed to fit a 3.5 v8?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

BMW 2.5 / 2.8 mid-nineties vintage? 170-200bhp as standard.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Holden engines have been widely fitted in the past, but I think the supply of straight sixes is limited now. JD

Reply to
JD

There's still a fair few available - and they are still cheap enough to rebuild. The only problem I can see is that the OP is in the UK where the supply of Holdens is (and has always been) non-existent.

Still, the 4.0 Jeep engine is AFAIK the same as the old Chrysler Valiant

215/245/265 engine and adaptor kits used to be readily available in Australia - the OP may wish to investiage a kit. A good starting point would be
- if they can't help they will almost certainly know who can.
Reply to
EMB

G'day (this greeting should help you determine my place of origin)

i'm sure it would probably not be all that far out of the question to ship a holden motor from here to the UK. you would have no trouble getting a very fresh 186 (3 litre, which is your best bet) that's been recently reco'ed for around the $1000 mark or less. these are very strong motors, whereas the 202 (3.3 litre) has a bit more balls but not as strong (something to do with the pistons) and a little too powerful for the landy 'box. then marks 4wd adaptors and the "rod shop" may be able to fix you up with the necessary bits and pieces. i know they used to, but someone told me the no longer stock them, but will probably still do one offs. could always give it a try.

and i know of quite a few series rovers with 245 or 265 hemi's fitted, so someone out there must be doing the converisons.

hope this is of some help.

Sam.

Reply to
Samuel

Trouble is - no parts availability. When it drops it's water pump - you're stuffed. Ditto for breaking a rocker, blowing a gasket or probably even wanting ignition parts.

Reply to
EMB

good point. you could always get two motors. one for the car and one for spares. can buy a s decent one for about $200 or something, get 'em shipped over together. i don't know, could be a really stupid idea, but just throwing it out there.

i'm thinking about chucking a diesel in to replace my 6 cyl petrol, but am not too inspired by the little 2.25 litre rover option. i know a 3.9 litre isuzu would be a reaonably easy swap due to most parts being avaiable, but i would really like a 6 cylinder. thinking maybe a nissan sd33 with nissan 'box. don't suppose anyone has any ideas about that???

cheers.

Sam.

Reply to
Samuel

Rover SAD was available with 2.3 and 2.6 straight 6 motors, getting a bit thin on the ground these days , but should be cheap if you can find one, AND it would be a rover part etc etc..........................

...................Smurf

Reply to
Smurf

eerrrrrrr spell checker strikes again .... that should have been SD1 not SAD

Reply to
Smurf

Don't even think about mating the 3.9 Isuzu to a Rover gearbox - its not all that high on power, but that low down torque from four cylinders is guaranteed to wreck the box. Also a minor problem of maximum rpm being about 25% lower. JD

Reply to
JD

I built a 109 trialler with a 2.6 SD1 engine once, nice engine with plenty of torque low down. (i also used the SD1's autobox, mating it to a modified series transfer box!) Not a lot of clearance between the front pulley and radiator crossmember though, so replace cam belt before installing engine!! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Yeah,that was my suspicion. apparently the low-down torque of the 3.9 even wrecks some of the 110 g'boxes. as much as i love big, chunky diesels, i reckon a small 6 cylinder would be a lotbetter.

are you in oz JD? do you know anything about putting the 5 speed nissan box into a rover, wether or not you keep the rover transfer box??

Sam.

Reply to
Samuel

Not any more, they sell some of them as the Vauxhall Monaro

and

Bob Hobden

I have considered a 2.6 IOE, as I have one fitted to a SIII, however, given the reliablilty of this engine, and the fuel consumption I got from it, I have discounted this as an option. It simply won't stand up to the kind of hard work the truck will get once finished. The IOE engine is an old design, being longstroke, and simply doesn't stand up to the kind of use it got, even in my SIII.

The 3.0 IOE engine is a possiblity, but I still wouldn't be happy at the long-term reliabilty of the engine.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I didn't get JD's post on my NG server, can someone re-post it?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

for all you petrolheads go to this page, then click Jeremy's verdict then watch "Full Boost" with the sound turned up. Oh I want one. (and a petrol account some one else pays)

Reply to
Bob Hobden

I was referring to the old 70's and 80's Holdens that were the source of the 6 cylinder engine that was widely fitted to Solihull's finest down this way. I have a vague suspicion that the current crop of V8's would be a tad too much for the Landrover gearboxes ;-)

Incidentally, there's a Monaro parked in my driveway, and petrol here is about 55p per litre.

Reply to
EMB

As much as that? I thought you were at about $1.10, divided by a

2.5ish exchange rate? Getting price down there isn't it? :-)

How much is new Monaro?

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

They added another tax grab recently - and now I think about it, the price has dropped to $1.23, so call that 50p.

List price is a tad shy of $80,000 but with a bit of arm twisting you'll own one for a bit under $75K - so about 30,000 pounds. But the one outside is the wife's company car - so I get to have fun without herniating the chequebook.

Reply to
EMB

Or you could import a Pontiac GTO from the states - it's the same car, but cheaper than the Monaro.

Alex

Reply to
Alex