Troopers

A litle OT, but does anyone have any exerience or opinions about Isuzu Troopers, only I've been offered one on an E plate, not in bad nick for it's age, duff starter motor and not MOT, but only £250.

Just wondering what U guys have heard about them, although I may buy it anyway even if just to break it and sell in bits

Reply to
Me

I had a J plater for 6 months, it required a cylinder head in that time but was a cracking motor to drive & had decetn build quality. Parts are HORRIFIC prices though!

Nige

-- Subaru WRX (The Bitch)

Range Rover Classic (Monty)

__

Reply to
Nige

In message , Me writes

Try uk.rec.cars.4x4

Reply to
hugh

I ran one for awhile until I ran it into the back of an artic parked on a blind bend. Decent road manners and ok-ish for mild offroad. Parts are dear - when they have them.

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

My Mechanic Chum who did all the repairs on my Range Rover owned a Trooper, although his was newer than this he swore by it.

He trailered whatever toy he was driving at the time down to Le Mans every year and it never missed a beat.

He only sold it cause His wife wanted an X5 and He decided to buy a 500hp Saleen Mustang....a slight change..:-)

Muddy

Reply to
Alan Mudd

I have heard they rust badly, and an E plate with no MOT will, I expect, have more rust than metal.

Heard good things about their diesel engines though.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Compared to Discos they are buggers to start. TonyB

Reply to
TB

Thought Monty had been kidnapped to Poland?

Reply to
GbH

Especially with a duff starter motor!

Reply to
SimonJ

Me vaguely muttered something like ...

Bro-in-laws brother had one. Drank diesel like it was 2p a gallon, and cost the earth for spare parts, but he said it was a cracking drive and a decent motor. It fell apart though, I'd guess 'cos it was a true 'farm' vehicle and never got cleaned or even remotely looked at until something broke ....

Reply to
Paul - xxx

So Paul - xxx was, like

My bro-in-law had a Citation (is that the same?). Rated it very highly (he lives in London and used it for general lugging about duties), but the alternator failed when he was staying down here in Wales. Replacement was (ISTR) £700 and had to be sent down from Birmingham, taking a week to arrive. He might have got a perfectly good aftermarket one locally, but my offer to source and fit it was turned down - he wanted a "proper" one, fitted by a "proper" garage. Could have got a whole Series Landy for that, with MoT.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Ok, thanks guys, that was very helpful, mainly the price of parts.. The thing is actually in reasonable nick, a bit scabby on some lower panels, but otherwise OK.

I just offered him £100 for it, at that price it'll make a cheap beastie to play offroad for a few weeks, then strip for spares.

The starter motor works again now, must have stuck, a tow start from the 110 got it running, and the engine sounds very nice indeed, but is a biggish petrol.

So I'll probably have some trooper spares for sale after Xmas LOL..

Ta!!

Reply to
Me

On or around Fri, 10 Dec 2004 11:14:55 +0000 (UTC), "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

Citation and Duty were special-edition Troopers of some kind. I was hoping they'd do an AWOL, but they obviously don't have a sense of humour.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

-- Subaru WRX (The Bitch)

Buggering fecking sig crap!!! __

Reply to
Nige

Citation was the top model until a few years ago, the duty was more used by folk who used it to work etc!

-- Subaru WRX (The Bitch)

Reply to
Nige

Slight update on all that, and answering/talking to myself.. We settled on £150, it's actually MOT'd until end of Feb 2005, I poked all over it, and even slid under and beat up the chassis with a hammer (anyone would think I'd owned a land rover ;) ).

Starters shot, all 4 tyres are like racing slicks, one wheel arch needs repair, as do the bottoms of both back doors, and the front bumper is loose. So i's been used and abused.

I tow started it, and the 2.6 petrol engine is sweet, and drives lots better than my Landy.

We settled on £150, so now it's yet another winter project... Oh, found a starter motor at a local scrappy for £25, I know it works, I started the trooper it wuz in, which was a bit worrying as it had a fiesta on top of it... That starter is also a $%*(&($&($&* to get to.

one of 3 plans,

1) if MOT comes cheaply (HAH) it's to run to work and back so they stop F*cking moaning about my oil patch (NO I'm NOT going to remove the engine to do the rear crank end seal just because my Landy oil is a different colour to lorry oil.. Park in the lorry despatch area).

2) If above is a no go, put decent 2nd hand tyres on, play at Tixover where my Landys will never tread again (the grit there buggers your brakes and bearings) for a bit, then strip it and sell it in bits.

3) Sell it to big bruv, who has a bigger car fixing budget than me, and help him MOT it... He so badly wants a 4x4 LOL

I think 2) will probly be what happens tho.

Reply to
Me

The chassis is much heavier gauge steel than a landie, but smaller in section.

Get yourself onto the isuzu (fan) website & you can get all the bits you need mega cheap from scrappers. A lot of troopers are rebadged as Hondas, even Vauxhalls & they are there to be found in scrappers. I got a full set of citation alloys with good tyres for £130 all in! My Trooper was utterly mint by the time I sold it.

They are great, but not Landrovers! Have fun.

Nige

Reply to
Nige

Want one as a replacement for my RRC 3.5Efi - more headroom, proper back door and more load space. Oh and those sexy folding door mirrors.

Brother of a friend uses his to pull a harrow over a field he owns! I have pdf's of the What Car? and AA reports if you are interested.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

On or around Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:43:16 +0000, Richard enlightened us thusly:

you need my proposed transit/110 hybrid.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Forgot max height of 72"!

Richard 8-)