Trying to find old tyres

I have purchased a trailer, described but unseen (not ebay!)

The seller told me that the tyres were holding air, but should be OK, however he suggested that I bring some spare wheels (and that they were on a standard LR 5 hole). I duly took a trip to Maldon to collect the trailer, only to find that 1. Whilst the the tyres on the trailer held air, they were slicks and perished; and 2. The Defender wheels I brought didn't fit.

The latter was because the centre of the rim is totally flat!

As the tyres were quite badly perished (and bald!) and I had 160+ miles to get home, I took the wheels off the trailer and brought them home with me to find replacement tyres and to come back later to get the trailer.

That's where the fun started. Nobody seems to do these size tyres!

The tyres are marked:

27 x 6 / 7.00 - 15, 12 ply.

Any suggestions of a source?

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

If you've enough clearance for the width, probably 195 x 15 van tyres might do the job, though most modern medium sized vans are now on 16" rims I think there's plenty of them still using 15" sizes. Plus the van tyres are made to carry more weight. Nip down to your local van hire place and have a look at the sizes fitted or check with your local tyre depot.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

The size and description makes me wonder if they are Volkswagen Kombi rims and tyres.

Reply to
EMB
.

I have spent a while phoning around and the general view is that these tyres are no longer manufactured for trailers. I may find one for a fork lift, but then the 25mph speed rating may cramp my style when towing :-)

So, the problem I have with any other 5 stud LR fixing (certainly the Defender rims) is that because they sit over the drum, the wheel fouls the side of the trailer. Does anybody know of a 5 hole rim on a LR / Defender PCD that has a flat centre but will take radial tyres?

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

I have spent a while phoning around and the general view is that these tyres are no longer manufactured for trailers. I may find one for a fork lift, but then the 25mph speed rating may cramp my style when towing :-)

So, the problem I have with any other 5 stud LR fixing (certainly the Defender rims) is that because they sit over the drum, the wheel fouls the side of the trailer. Does anybody know of a 5 hole rim on a LR / Defender PCD that has a flat centre but will take radial tyres?

Cheers

Peter

How odd this post looks like I typed it?

Anyway..... Check the offset of a set of cheap and cheerful 8 spokes. Or move the suspension unit out on the trailer.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I have spent a while phoning around and the general view is that these tyres are no longer manufactured for trailers. I may find one for a fork lift, but then the 25mph speed rating may cramp my style when towing :-)

So, the problem I have with any other 5 stud LR fixing (certainly the Defender rims) is that because they sit over the drum, the wheel fouls the side of the trailer. Does anybody know of a 5 hole rim on a LR / Defender PCD that has a flat centre but will take radial tyres.

Yes, what's wrong with the rims you took off the trailer?

Martin

Reply to
Oily

They are split rims and nobody I have spoken to is convinced that any other tyres will be suitable.

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Try some of the places that do horse trailers/boxes. Horse owners spend a fortune on their horses, but are tight as (whatever Nige would say) when it comes to the trailers, so may still need otherwise unsourceable (?) tyres.

Reply to
.mother

Split rims, at least normal SDC ones, don't need special tyres. I don't understand the comment.

Is this simply a 'funny' size issue?

Reply to
Dougal

I should think any commercial tyre of similare size would suffice so long as you fitted tubes and protective gaiters.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

How do we turn that into a modern tyre spec ? Is it 7" wide, 15" Radius ? What aspect ratio are they from these numbers.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

I have physically taken the tyre to two local tyre places who have inspected it, phoned round and drawn a blank. I have spoken to more tyre places (vintage, modern, car, agricultural and commercial) that I care to remember on the phone, none of them could help. In each case I asked if there was an equivalent I could use.

Bear in mind this is not my area of expertise, so I have to be guided by what I am told.

I have been told that the tyre size that is on the rim at present is not available anywhere in the UK. The only one they found was for a fork lift and it had a speed rating of 25mph.

I have also been told that there is no equivalent tyre in radial.

I have also been told that not many tyre places are competent to put tyres on split rims.

That is where I am!

What is a "normal SDC split rim"?

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Notionally 27" rolling diameter, 6" wide, on a 15" rim. Which gives a supposed 100% AR.

Reply to
EMB

That 15" rim for a trailer is a killer. The biggest I've found so far is

13" in modern stock.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

but was misspeaking

Unless there's something very special about the trailer, I'd forget the whole thing, and let the seller worry about how he's going to get rid of it with no wheels. What's the chance that he's looked after the wheel bearings, if he can't even keep it properly shod?

If the wheels are so odd:

How will you get a spare wheel?

Even if you find a source of tyres, what will you do if you shred a tyre on a long kourney, if tyres aren't readily available?

If the tyres are old and obsolete, are the hubs, too? Can you get brake spares? Has it even got auto-reverse brakes, and a damped tow hitch? Both essential, imho, particularly if the trailer is as enormous as the tyre rating suggests.

Is it even a standard 50mm ball hitch?

I had a several crappy old trailers, then finally bit the bullet and bought two decent secondhand ones: a 10ft Ifor Williams and a tiltbed Bateson. My only regret is not getting an even better tiltbed, and a tipping trailer to complete the set. It's only with my present Rangie that the towing vehicle is worth more than the trailer, and the values are converging fast.

Reply to
Kevin Poole

What sort of legal considerations govern wheels/tyres for trailers in the UK?

Reply to
EMB

Kevin,

All very good arguments! Although, it does have a standard hitch and overrun brakes (albeit they need servicing) - but you are right I have no idea about spares for it.

I bought it because it has a low load bed which will be ideal to move around some of my miniature railway locomotives (which can weigh up to

1/2 ton).

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

1/2 ton ? Wow ! That's a lot heavier than you would think. What scale are you using ?? Do you have to crane them on to the trailer ?

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

Which is smaller than the wheels on the small Sankey trailer that I've got. To fit 205 x 16 tyres on that I use Series 3 LWB rims which take the wider tyres away from the sides of the trailer. The point being; How big is this trailer?

The only wheels I've seen with L/R pcd and flat centres are the old Austin/Morris LD and FG type which were fitted with a 7.50" x 16" tyre, but which you could cut the centre out of and weld or have welded into a 15" rim for a spare.

You would probably have been better buying a modern small plant trailer, something like an 8' x 5' Ifor Williams type.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

I build 7.25" locomotives to narrow gauge outline. The one in question (a variation on the Tinkerbell) design can be seen in the right hand picture on the front page of my website -

To get them on I use a transfer track, that's why the low load bed is ideal.

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter